The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

GE Profile fridge Both freezer and fridge temp are not working.

GE Profile fridge

Both freezer and fridge temp are not working. Have tried resetting but temp in freezer is now 53F and fridge is 47F. Suggestions?

Thanks - Erin

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

I will need the model number of your unit to look this up for you.
Please click here for help locating the model number.
Thank you.

Customer:

GE Profile Arctica Model PT22LHPARBB

Customer:

GE Profile Arctica

The Home Smithy :

thank you. One moment please.

The Home Smithy :

I am sorry but that is not a valid model number. Please check it again. Thank you.

Customer:

Sorry - PTS22LHPARBB

The Home Smithy :

Ok checking now. Please stand by.

The Home Smithy :

Erin, you have what is called an adaptive defrost system unit. The temperatures in both the refrigerator and freezer section are controlled by a main control board towards the lower back of the unit. The control board reads temperatures from thermisters (temperature sensors) in both sections. If both sections are not cooling properly then you have a problem with the main control board. If it were just one section or the other it would be a bad thermister.
The cost of a new board is over 150 dollars. As this prt is not returnable I strongly suggst that you let a repair service do the work for you. that way if replaceing the board does not resolve the problem it is on them and you dont end up buying an expensive part that doesnt fix your refrigerator.
If you would like a link to the part please let me know.

The Home Smithy :

One thing you can try is unplugging the unit for a few minuets. That will reset the control board and might get you back up and running. If that doesnt work then a service call would be best.

Customer:

We'll try unplugging and see what happens - otherwise will call a repair co.

The Home Smithy :

Ok. Great! If you decide that you want to do the repair yourself please let me know. I do want you to understand that you would be taking a risk though. It could be something as simple as a bad connection somewhere.

The Home Smithy :

Please let me know if you require further assistance, or information.
If not, please click on "ACCEPT".
After you accept, please leave feedback.
Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

Erin. I just found a service manual for your unit. Give me a minuet to check something. You may be able to do the required diagnostics yourself.

Customer:

Great - thanks

The Home Smithy :

Here is a copy of the diagnostics flow chart for this model. Have a look through it and let me know if you think you would want to try doing the diagnostics and repair yourself. It may require that you have a volt ohm meter and know how to use it to do the required testing. Or if you would just like to have a copy of the manual I will be happy to provide you with a link to download it.

Full Size Image

The Home Smithy :

Please click here to download the manual.

Customer:

Looks like freezer is starting to cool down - waiting to see if fridge comes back

The Home Smithy :

Cool! (pun intended;-) )

Customer:

Just got home and both freezer and fridge are now working - guess I should have known to just try and unplug it! I will keep the diagnostic flow chart just in case it happens again. Thanks so much for your assistance.

Customer:

Erin