Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Whirlpool refrigerator filter is stuck. How to get it out to replace?

I have a Whirlpool side...

I have a Whirlpool side by side refrigerator. It uses a filter that goes in at the bottom of the freezer. My filter is stuck and I can't get it out to replace.

8/28/2011
Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician

Can you get the filter cap off?

No. I don't think the cap separates.
Okay, the cap does separate. What you need to do is to turn the black cap just a quarter turn then pull the filter out. You may need a pair of pliers to turn the cap. If you use pliers make sure you put a cloth between the jaws of the pliers so you don't leave any jaw marks on the cap. Now after you turn the cap just a quarter turn, pull the filter out, and then you will see how you can slide the cap off to be placed on the new filter.
The filter did not turn. I tried turning it clock/counterclock wise with the same results.
The filter is not moving. Could not get pliers into space around filter.
Peter
Peter, Home Appliance Technician

The filter pushes in and locks into the head assembly. Push the filter in and then push on the button to the left. The filter should release and pop out. Place the cap on the new filter then firmly push in the new filter until you feel it lock and hear water run into the filter.

If the filter does not release then try lightly tapping straight on the filter as you hold the release button in. If you hit it too hard the housing may crack.

Is it possible that the filter is jammed in? I just tried, and nothing seems to move. Not the button and not the filter.

If the button or the filter will not move in then it is probably jammed. Worst case, you have to change the housing and filter. I would use a hammer and tap on the button, maybe slightly more than a tap.

Let me know what happens.

The tapping didn't work.
I'm looking for a repairman to come to the house.
Thanks.
Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician

We can try a few more things too. I see this problem all the time.

If you know where the water shut off is to the ref, please turn that off and run the water at the door to release the pressure built up in the line. When all the water is out of the line, usually about 40 ounces, please try to turn the filter again.

The pressure that was built up was too great. That is why it is causing the filter to be stuck in place.

This should work. If not, you will have to take a wrench, like the previous tech said, but don't use a towel to protect the filter. We need as much friction as possible here. We don't care if you leave marks on the filter itself, it will be replaced when you put the new one in anyway.

Remember to push in slightly and turn with all your might.

It should free itself.

the part number for the filter is 4396841 and its cost is $55. Although I could get it cheaper for you. the part number for the end cap is 2260502B and the cost on that is $28.

Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Jon
Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician