Neilwill
Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years experience appliance repair and installation
25067054

Tom, I have a GE dishwasher that is about 15 years old.

Customer Question

Tom,

I have a GE dishwasher that is about 15 years old. I have done several service procedures to is over the last decade. This one finally has me stumped.

I recently replaced the pump seal. The procedure went well, or so I thought. About three washes later the machine stopped working. The timer is new, the water inlet valve is new, and the drain selenoid is new.

When I turn the machine on, it will not fill. It just makes the normal sounds, without water. If I manually add water with a pitcher is does not drain. If I manually engage the selenoind it drains well, so no blockage to my knowledge. It is like the machine work ok, but won't cycle.

Any ideas? Did I forget to mentione anything important, besides the model # XXXXX I do not have handy?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Neilwill replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!
If you have any questions after reading my answer,be sure to let me know.
Try moving the Float up and down and see if it moves freely.
It may be the float switch is bad. Then you would replace the complete float.
After 15 years it may have a bad control board. that is not responding to the drain signal.
I will tell you what I do personally when my dishwashers get 15 years old.
No joke: I throw them out and replace them with more efficient ones. Yes I could fix my own cheaply, But! The new ones will use less water and power and pay for itself in only a few years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Neilwill,

thanks for the helpful & timely response. I would like to upgrade my dishwasher, but at the moment I am really strapped for cash and it is not a reality for my short term future. I am trying to get a band aid on the one I have for another year or so.

I neglected to mention that I did use a continuity tester on the float switch, and it does move up and down freely.

My dishwasher model is: GSD 2230Z02WW.

It has a dial on the right side and two swithches on the left a normal/potscrubber & a heated dry on/off button.

Like I mentioned, I just replaced the pump seal two or three washings before it stopped working, is it possible I did something incorrectly that would cause this on that job?

I was guessing that there were not too many problems that would cause a dishwasher to not fill, or empty at the same time.

Thanks for your help!

Arron

Expert:  Neilwill replied 5 years ago.
Since you recently replaced the pump seal, and The timer is new, the water inlet valve is new, and the drain selenoid is new. Switch BP # 907 on the diagram or Switch Kit #906 on the diagram in this link. Cheap parts.