Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Please help my kenmore 80 series washer model XXXXXXXXXXX will

Customer Question
not drain or agitate...
Please help my kenmore 80 series washer model XXXXXXXXXXX will not drain or agitate the water fill works but doesn't register a small load and shut off when it broke it fried the gpf outlet. The lid switch has never been necessary my washer has always gone through the entire cycle with the lid up. Thank you for yOur help i have a big family and can't afford a washer
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
8/19/2011
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

do you have a volt meter?

I think I have one but I am looking but have never used one
okay well the problem may still be the lid switch I was going to have you test it. if it never worked correctly before it may have finally given out, heres is a link to a video that shows you how to test it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Lid-Switch-Assembly/3949247/547225?modelNumber=110.26834692
I found a meter it doesn't say ohm but it looks right I cannot watch the video the phone won't play flash videos. I lifted up the control part and could see where the lid switch plugged in
okay, do you think you could bypass the switch for a test? you need to strip a piece of wire back on both ends and stick one end in each of the two outside wires on the plug, can you do that? unplug the machine when you put the jumper in.
I found a meter it doesn't say ohm but it looks right I cannot watch the video the phone won't play flash videos. I lifted up the control part and could see where the lid switch plugged in. I have two plastic pieces that plug into each other. Is that what I test?
I found a meter it doesn't say ohm but it looks right I cannot watch the video the phone won't play flash videos. I lifted up the control part and could see where the lid switch plugged in. I have two plastic pieces that plug into each other. Is that what I test? Is the lid switch the one that plugs into the top of the washer
I found a meter it doesn't say ohm but it looks right I cannot watch the video the phone won't play flash videos. I lifted up the control part and could see where the lid switch plugged in. I have two plastic pieces that plug into each other. Is that what I test? Is the lid switch the one that plugs into the top of the washer does the lid switch have three wires? Black green and grey
the lid switch is this. it should have two gray on the outside and a green in the center.
I now can work the ohm meter thank you how do I remove the lid switch ? I am worried because my washer will not agitate, spin or drain. Does the lid switch control all of these functions. And what about the fact that it burned out the outlet?
yes it does control the functions, as far as the shorted outlet the switch may have grounded out. heres a video to help you get the lid switch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFsvLiuTniU did you try jumping it out?
We got the lid switch off thankyou. It looks just like the picture. Now how do I test it please. Because the video showed a switch with plug prongs to test mine doesn't have any prongs
put you meter on ohms and test to the two outside posts in the connector, press the switch and if the ohms goes up (needle) then its good.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Ok the lid switch showed continuity the ground wire connector is a little corroded
Ok the lid switch showed continuity the ground wire connector is a little corroded sorry I didnt hit accept I still have a washer that doesn't work. What do I try next?
Ok the lid switch showed continuity the ground wire connector is a little corroded sorry I didnt hit accept I still have a washer that doesn't work. What do I try next? Brian there is a little movable paddle like part it is plastic I think it is the part that the lid pushes down to start the switch this has a piece chipped off of it. Does that matter? It still goes down and it still covers the hole that the lid thing goes through.
try pushing the switch down with it plugged in . does it start?
No I tried before I took it apart. Please remember that my machine has always ran through all cycles with the lid up. Thank you.
do you still have the cabinet off? do you see any burnt or shorted wiring ? check the motor plug wiring. also the plug that goes in the timer.
Yes the cabinet is off I don't see anything that looks burnt.
I'm stumped, its either the timer or the motor. check for power to the motor . if you have none the timer is bad, if you do the motor has failed.
Will either the timer or motor cause no agitation no spin no draining and the water fills fine but doesn't stop filling when set to small load?
timer. you have a bad timer. I forgot about that. sorry, to much going on to be the motor, the timer runs all the functions.
Ok thank you. I can hear noise in the timer but it may not be working. How do I check the timer ?
you really cant. there are to many contacts to test it. you can order the timer @ http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/3951708/0026/110?pathTaken=directMatch&filterPart=&pop=flush&prst=0&shdPart=3951708 thanks, Bryan
I plugged the washer in the cover is still off. I set the timer to 10 minutes on the wash cycle. At first it hummed but when I went back to check it about five minutes later it was silent and had not move. Would the timer control the water filling to not stop ? Is it hard to change the timer? Are you pretty certain that is my problem? Is someone going to continue to try to help me
Sorry I did not receive a reply.
Do I need to start over with my questions or do we continue. Thank you for your help I am sorry it has been so time consuming.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician