Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Jenn-Air refergerator and it started heating one day

Customer Question
instead if cooling the inside...
I have a Jenn-Air refergerator and it started heating one day instead if cooling the inside. The freezer was at 71 degrees and the referigerator was at 81 degrees. Is there some type of reset to make it flow cool air?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/15/2011
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

can you please open the refrigerator door and look on one of the sides or on the ceiling for a full model number? Also have you heard any clicking or buzzing coming from the back of the refrigerator where the compressor is? Is the fan on the inside of the freezer running when you turn it on?

JFD2589KEP

I did not hear any sounds out of normal running sounds

Okay are you able to set the controls normally? And when you do you hear the fan running and all that the lights are on?
Yes - I can change the temp controls and all the lights are normal. it seems like everything is good except the heat not cool

Okay you need to replace the compressor relay assembly, this is plugged on to the side of the compressor and is what starts it, they've had a multitude of problems with these relays, as a matter of fact I have the KitchenAid side-by-side refrigerator that I need to replace my relay in, it's fairly easy to do, you can do it yourself, what you need to do is pull a refrigerator away from the wall and remove the cover that runs along the back bottom that covers the compressor area, make sure the refrigerator is unplugged and take a flat head screwdriver and pry this off gently, actually on some you could just reach in and pull it off depending on how much room you have, you can order this at the following link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Start-Device/67005560/1159182?modelNumber=JFD2589KEP the part number is, 67005560 if you have an appliance parts store near your home,

I purchased the part listed above, but I don't see it when I pulled the lower panel off the refrigerator?
its on the side of the compressor.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
I see the compressor but still don't see the part haging off of it. It has a smaller plug in part at the left of inside as you are looking at it from the back.
can you send me a picture of that ? what color is it?

The part is back Capacitor C61-P2 - I am trying to get a picture on the computer. Do you have an e-mail I can send direct from my i-phone?

sorry we cant accept emails. if you use the paper clip in the box above the post thats how you attach pictures. did the new relay come with a capacitor?

I can't send the picture - your upload says the file is to large. The part is located under the wire piece you see in your piture of the comprssor

right thats the relay and capacitor, remove the wire holder and pry the old relay assembly off, the one I had you get is the newer replacement relay and should plug right in, there should be just two wires plugged into it. probably red and blue
I now see where and have installed it. It seems to be working -thx
great, have a great day.good job, thanks Bryan
Bryan - one more thing - it seems like the freezer is cooling off very quickly and the top part is still sitting at 71 degrees - is that going to take longer and is it because I keep opening the door?
it can take up to 24 hours to stabilize. it will however probably be less than that.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician