Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Whirlpool gas dryer timer will not advance in normal mode. How can I fix it?

Customer Question
My Whirlpool (gas) dryer timer...
My Whirlpool (gas) dryer timer will not advance in normal (dry cycle) mode. It will start to heat then go cold and the timer remains where ever I set it. . I have heat and timer advance in permanent press, (low heat) and in permanent press (low) heat. The fusible link for the heat in the rear of the machine is good. I put a new one in just on the off chance the link may get an "open" during the normal run cycle. I'm at a loss unless the timer can fail in just one area. If so will this also keep the heat from staying on even though the timer is not advancing? Ralph.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
8/4/2011
Appliance Technician: gst85, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician

gst85 :

hi are you there

Customer :

Yes TY.

gst85 :

what parts have you replaced?

Customer :

Just the thermal over load link in the rear of the dryer but I still had heat in timed dry, low and high. It's just the automatic mode it won't advance. It will begin to heat in automatic but then go cold and not advaance.

Customer :

I can dry in timed mode but it takes forevr

gst85 :

ok this is going to be a bad timer.and nothing else.a few points are bad

Customer :

No opening it up and cleaning, de-buring?

Customer :

The contacts I mean.

gst85 :

some you can and sometimes you cant.you try but you just need to becarefull that you do not bent the points

gst85 :

cleaned them with a piece of sand paper

Customer :

Is the timer connected in any way to any of the upper/lower safety thermal "buttons" I'll call them.

Customer :

I don't know their correct name.

gst85 :

the timer runs everything

Customer :

Ah, so that would explain it's attempt to heat then go clod?

Customer :

cold, sorry

gst85 :

thats correct

gst85 :

good luck to you

Customer :

I have ohmed out all wires and have found no opens so I could try and open the timer before I spend $130 on it.

gst85 :

correct.its worth a try

Customer :

OK. Can I attempt that and get back with you?

gst85 :

yes you can.pressing accept now pays for my time.

Customer :

ok. let me try that and verify its bad.

gst85 :

ok

Customer :

TY for your time. I will return and pay the fee.

gst85 :

ok thanks

Customer :

I have replaced the timer as you said. It worked at first now the new one is doing the same thing. Times in both "timed dry" cycles and give some heat but no longer times in "Automatic Dry" cycle and gives no heat. Almost as if the gas valve isn't staying open. There is a sensor on the discharge side of the air duct which is supposed to sense out going heat. Could this be shutting off the gas and if so with no gas signal will the timer stop turning?

gst85 :

if the gas valve is shutting off too soon then the solenoids may be faultybut the timer controls everything

Customer :

If the solenoids are faulty and shutting down will it affect the timer operation? Meaning will the timer stop rotating if it senses no gas flow? If not, I'm now at a loss as to why the timer only times down/out in the "Timed Dry" cycles. When I installed the new timer and did the first test with all panels removed I could see the gas light and flames in the chamber and heat being produced. after I closed every thing up and put a load in and started it, it was still running when I came back out but hadn't advanced and there was no flame/heat.

gst85 :

based on what you are stating it sounds like the timer is faulty.

Customer :

I just bought it and received it yesterday. Is there something (load, surge, etc.) causing them to go bad?

gst85 :

only it can be is just a shortage somewhere in the wiring

Customer :

Still lost . Why only in the Automatic Dry cycle? I have never seen anything like this. The motor revolves and turns the cams to operate the various functions. Just don't know why it stops only in Automatic Dry cycle and no heat.

Customer :

Thank you for the time but it seems your answer to my problem of it being the dryer timer was incorrect. Was never anything wrong with the timer. It seems since the secondary gas valve coil did not operate (open) and produce flame the timer will not advance and clothes will just tumble with no heat.

gst85
gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician