The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

Maytag EPIC front load washer won’t drain

I have an EPIC z Maytag front load washer that won't drain. It started with a strange noise while draining. Now it won't drain at all. Is this a pump failure or something else? How do I determine what it is?
I am comfortable taking it apart and putting back together as well as metering electrical parts.

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer.

At the bottom front of your washer is a panel held on by a few screws along the bottom. Remove the screws and behind the panel is a cap that you can remove to check the coin trap. Clear out any debris in there and run another load.
If the coin trap is clear please let me know and I will provide further diagnostics and repair information.

JACUSTOMER-1jk3vgfe- :

OK, I will give that a shot.

The Home Smithy :

Ok. =)

JACUSTOMER-1jk3vgfe- :

It had some stuff in it. I cleaned it out and ran a rinse only cycle. It put water in the tub but never made it to spin. The front panel went from 14 m to 5d. I was not able to cancel out of that so I unplugged it. I then tried to do a spin only cycle and nothing is happening. The washer is full of water. What next.

Any other ideas?

The Home Smithy :

The 5d is an error code. It is telling you that there is a "suds" error. This usually indicates a plugges drain system. Did you check the coin trap?

Your screen may indicate that I have stepped out of the chat. Please do not be alarmed. I will receive a notice at the top of my screen when you have replied.
Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-1jk3vgfe- :

I have cleaned the coin trap. It appears as though the pump is not running.

The Home Smithy :

Ok I will need the model number to see if I have a service manual for you to work from to replace the pump.

Im sure I do but need the model number to be sure I get you the right one.

JACUSTOMER-1jk3vgfe- :

Maytag EPIC z

Model: MHWZ600TW01
The Home Smithy :

Please click here to download the manual. Page 4-17 has the information to replace the drain pump. Would you like a link to purchase the new pump on line?

JACUSTOMER-1jk3vgfe- :

Removed the pump and found rubber hair band in the blades. I have removed them and I am running a rinse/spin cycle. Let's hope that gets it...I am tired of draining the washer tub.

If it turns out to be the pump, where do I go to order it?

The Home Smithy :

Please click here to order the new pump assembly.

JACUSTOMER-1jk3vgfe- :

Ok. Thanks for the help.

Front load washer won’t drain: Troubleshooting 

When your front load washer won’t drain, there are several things that could be causing the problem. All are easy to fix if you’re fairly handy, and even the least handy person can fix some of them.

Consult your owner’s manual to identify any error code you’re getting. The manual may tell you an error code indicates that you need a new pump. If you don’t see any specific instructions, turn off the power to the machine and get some towels and a bucket ready so you can identify and hopefully correct the exact problem.

Troubleshooting when a front load washer won’t drain

1. Bail out any standing water in your machine.

2. Check the door lock motor and switch assembly. To test for mechanical failure, press the switch and listen for a clicking sound. Also look for cracks, breaks or failure to make contact with the door. Test for electrical continuity with an Ohm meter. Replace if necessary.

3. Check the drain hose. Have the bucket ready when you disconnect the hose from the washer. Look for kinks and make sure the machine is far enough from the wall that the hose isn’t obstructed. If this isn’t the problem, there may be a clog in the hose itself.

4. Look through the hose with a flashlight. If you can’t reach any obstruction you find (usually a piece of clothing), run a moderate to high-pressure water stream, such as the stream from a garden hose, through the drain hose to force out the clog.

5. Reconnect the hose, making sure that the outlet the hose goes into is not more than 8 feet from the floor, that the end of the hose is no more than 4.5 inches into the drain hole, and that the drain hole is not blocked. If it’s blocked, clear it using a plumber’s snake.

6. Clean the drain pump filter. For most front load models, the filter is behind a panel just below the door. Tilt the washer back and slide blocks under the front legs for easier access to the screws. Remove the screws and lift off the front panel. If your washer has a filter that’s separate from the drain pump, you’ll see it beside the pump. Unscrew the filter by turning it counterclockwise. It’s a tight seal, so use some muscle.

7. Check the drain pump itself. Stick your finger in the hole to the right of the filter and make sure nothing is caught in the pump fan and that it moves freely, and check for broken or missing fan blades. Replace a pump that’s damaged in any way. Otherwise, reinstall the filter, turning it clockwise until it’s tight.

8. Check the pump belt. It may have broken or become frayed or loose. Replace if necessary.

9. Check the drive belt that rides on pulleys. If it’s broken or is stretched out, replace it. If it’s slipped off the pulleys, reinstall it correctly.

These steps will help you find the problem when your front load washer won’t drain, and if there are any issues you can’t fix yourself, you’ll at least be able to pass the information on to your plumber.