Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a Kenmore HE3 dryer, model 110.84821300 purchased in

I have a Kenmore HE3 dryer, model 110.84821300 purchased in 2004. Recently the clothese are not completely drying. I have used the diagnostics and they all checked out. The element works during the test and heats up during the inital start of the cycle. But during the drying cycle it doesnot turn on again.

Pull the vent hose off the back and start the dryer watch it and let me know if the element kicks on more then once?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This time when I turned onto timed dry it did not turn on at all. but does still turn on during the diagnostic test.
Can you check the element for voltage when its running? Also you took the vent hose off for this test right?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Vent hose was off. Turned it back on and checked voltage at the terminals at the contact block and it registered 0. Checked voltage during diagnostic mode with element heating and it registered 235 V

if you are checking the voltage to the dryer at the terminal block and you have no voltage between red and black .

You have a household electrical issue . check your breaker

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No household electrical problem, breakers are fine. As I said in my updated post, in diagnostic mode I get 235V and element is heating

This was your last post to me .

---------------------------

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes and it says "Checked voltage during diagnostic mode with element heating and it registered 235 V"
Yes BUT it also said that you checked it and ((Turned it back on and checked voltage at the terminals at the contact block and it registered 0. )) what did this mean ??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Previous expert had asked if the last test was with the vent hose was off. He asked me to start a drying cycle and measure the voltage across the heating element. When I did that the element never heated up and registered zero volts. So then I measured it in Diagnostic mode to made sure it was seeing the proper voltage then (registed 235V).

ok and if you run another regular cycle what voltage do you get ?

Not diagnostics just normal heat cycle.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Normal cycle the element is not turning on and it reads 0 volts
and that is at the terminal block (where the cord attaches) or at the element?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
At the terminal block, on the incoming power side

then if you at any time have no voltage to that terminal block you have a house electrical issue.

It should be a constant 240 volts at all times.

Experience: 30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That doesn't make sense. How do I get 240 Volts during the diagnostic? That would indicate there are 240 volts available, but the system is not allowing the voltage to flow to the heating element. Which would indicate a sensor, switch or circuit board malfunction.

OK Are you saying when NOT in diagnostics that at the cord terminal block if you program a normal cycle you are not getting 240 volts A/C

You still have not answered this pending question yet .

You can get 240 in diagnostics but Not in A Normal cycle. This is what they call a floating neutral in the house electrical system .

I need to know this info to assist you .

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

We are talking passed each other. The previous expert asked me to measure the voltage inside the machine at the heating element. 2 wires come into a ceramic block and the heating element is attached. I was trying to clarify that I was not on the heating element side.

On the Incomming terminal block I have 240 V from black to Red (far left and right terminals ) and shows 120V from black to white (left and ceter terminal)

ok so I think I understand .

You are not getting 240 at the heating elements in a normal dry cycle BUT you are getting it on diagnostics is that correct?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Correct

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Any test I can perform to confirm that?

When I followed the tech sheet tests Everything appeared OK

well you actually have .

The element gets power 240 volts in diagnostics and no voltage in normal cycle .

the only component that controls that is the control board nothing else

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your patience, One last question. I see a part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN, Do you know if the R is a remanufactured part? it is half the price.
yes that is remanufactured . it should work just as fine