I have a KitchenAid side by side refrigerator KSCS25INSSOO…

Customer Question
I have a KitchenAid side...
I have a KitchenAid side by side refrigerator KSCS25INSSOO that is hooked up to a reverse osmosis unit. It has made ice for the last 5 1/2 years with no problem. Now the icemaker is not making ice. The red light blinks twice, has a one second delay and blinks twice again. The icemaker is new, it... Read full answer
I have a KitchenAid side by side refrigerator KSCS25INSSOO that is hooked up to a reverse osmosis unit. It has made ice for the last 5 1/2 years with no problem. Now the icemaker is not making ice. The red light blinks twice, has a one second delay and blinks twice again. The icemaker is new, it was replaced last year. I have an appliance warranty and last week the tech came out and said the fill tube was frozen. He thawed it, the icemaker made one batch of ice and now it is not working again. I was told they would not come out again and service it because the reverse osmosis unit is causing the fill tube to freeze. I find this hard to believe since the refrigerator has always been hooked up to this unit. Is it really the reverse osmosis unit, or could there be another reason the icemaker doesn't make ice? And FYI, the water dispensor works fine, just no ice. Please help. Thank you.
Wendy
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Appliance
7/18/2011
Appliance Technician: Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech replied 7 years ago
Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Hi..Bob Here ...Welcome to Just Answer...Wendy...If the fridge and ice maker worked fine up til now..Then there is no way the Osmosis system is the problem..To test the led (emitter boards) mounted inside the freezer..Hold the flapper down..Without breaking the beam across the door..The red led light should stay solid..If not..Then the emitter board is faulty...IF the fill tub keeps freezing up..Then your water valve is faulty..The water valve is located at the back of the fridge..What happens is the valve does not shut off completely..In turn water slowly trickles into the fill tube from the water valve ..Then freezes..

Please accept my answer for my time helping you on your question today or let me know if you have any further questions..Thanks Bob

Thank you. I checked the red light. When I hold the flapper down, the light stays solid.

The service tech told me that the water valve is not shutting off completely because of the reverse osmosis unit. He said it was because the water pressure is to low, so the valve does not shut off all the way.

Again, I have had the refrigerator hooked up for 5 1/2 years without a problem and the water pressure has not been changed. He also told me that KitchenAid is now saying that the problem is caused by the reverse osmosis unit and that I should disconnect the refrigerator from the unit and my problems will be solved. Do you know anything about this? I really feel the appliance warranty people are trying to get out of fixing my problem. What else could be causing this to happen?

And would it make sense to install a fill tube heater kit? I saw this solution on another post. Is there one available for this model?

No need for a heater...The water valve is faulty...The water valve does not close due to water pressure..It is controlled by a solenoid..Which opens and closes once electrical power is sent to the valve from the ice maker..Water pressure has nothing to do with it..

Are you sure about the reverse osmosis system not being the culprit? I read on another post that sometimes it is responsible for this problem. I need to rule it out completely so I can get my icemaker fixed under my warranty. And you never replied to my question about KitchenAid acknowledging this as a problem. And, if disconnecting the filtered water system could solve the problem. I would appreciate it if you could comment on both of these. I would hate to disconnect my filtered water system and still have the same problem. Thanks.

The water valve..is a operated by a solenoid..It open and closes..No matter what type of water pressure there is...Think of a Flood gate...The gate goes down the water flows out...The gate rises up and the water stops flowing..Basically that is how a water valve works..The gate is operated by electricity..It opens and closes electronically..Not by water pressure...The water in your ice maker is slowly trickling past the water valve freezing in the waterline...(the gate is not closing all the way)...You have had no problem with the fridge connected to the Osmosis in the past..No reason for it to be the problem now..I have no idea what Kitchen Aid will do for you as i do not have the facts of your warranty..Thanks BobPlease accept my answer for my time helping you on your question today or let me know if you have any further questions..Thanks Bob
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Please issue a refund. I am did not recieve accurate information and no longer wish to communicate with your website.
Appliance Technician: Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 years ago
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, my name is Dave. When the indicator light goes solid when the infrared beam is not blocked it proves the emitter and receiver are working properly. The problem of the fill tube freezing can be cause by low water pressure. Reverse osmosis systems typically operate at 7-10 lbs pressure and Whirlpool requires 20 lbs. Removing the water filter in the refrigerator helps increase pressure at the icemaker. The system bypasses when the filter is removed and you do not need the filter with the RO system. Having said all this, the valve can often operate at lower than 20 lbs pressure so if the pressure from the RO system has not changed you have 2 choices. The tech can easily test the valve to see if it is seeping and replace it if it is seeping and there is a fill tube heater kit available. It is part number 4389174 and as long as you can get about 12 lbs or more from the RO system you will not have a frozen fill tube. Best wishes to you and please ask questions if anything is not clear. If you accept, please choose the last answer that gave you the information you needed.

Dave

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Amana side by side refrigerator, bought in 1994. just
Amana side by side refrigerator, bought in 1994. just recently hooked up ice maker, but ice maker is not making ice. I can't hear the ice maker motor. Model #SSD22W.… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
I have a Samsung rf261begeww- that will not produce ice. I
I have a Samsung rf261begeww- that will not produce ice. I recently had an reverse osmosis hooked up to my frig.. Do I need a by-pass cartridge? … read more
Home Appliance Technician,
Problems with my kitchenaid kscs25fkss01 icemaker.
well replaced the icemaker but it does not fill with water… read more
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech
Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering Technology
Stop searching for answers—
Our ice maker is not working. The water dispenser is fine
Our ice maker is not working. The water dispenser is fine but the ice maker just stopped making ice. We need to replace our water filter, but will that make the ice maker stop working? Refrigerator is… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
I have a ge gsh25jfxn fridge with a filter in the unit - the
I have a ge gsh25jfxn fridge with a filter in the unit - the ice maker doesnt work well as i have a reverse osmosis system and i dont think i have enough pressure. I see that there are various filter … read more
Home Appliance Technician,
I have a 48"built in Kitchen aid refrigerator 7 years old with
I have a 48"built in Kitchen aid refrigerator 7 years old with an Osmosis system on the icemaker. It worked perfectly for the first 5 years. It doesn't make ice anymore. I have had many service calls … read more
Master Tech
Master Tech
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My Whirlpool GS6NHAXVK (s/n SW2726751) quit making ice. It
My Whirlpool GS6NHAXVK (s/n SW2726751) quit making ice. It fills but will not empty the tray. What does the red blinking light on the ice maker on-off switch mean? It blinks three times then pause, th… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
My icemaker has stopped making ice. I took my heat gun and
My icemaker has stopped making ice. I took my heat gun and thawed out the water supply line that was frozen, but the red blinking light hasn't turned green yet. I unplugged it from the wall, thinking … read more
Master Tech
Master Tech
I have a KitchenAid KSCS25INSSOO Superba side by side refrigerator/freezer,
I have a KitchenAid KSCS25INSSOO Superba side by side refrigerator/freezer, and my ice maker is not working. It stopped while ice was in the tray, followed by fill water attempting to fill the tray fu… read more
Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry
Outside inhome service tech,
I have a Sub Zero 532, side by side. We bought the house 4
I have a Sub Zero 532, side by side. We bought the house 4 years ago and the refrigerator came with the house so I do not know how old the refrigerator is. My reverse osmosis system had to be repalced… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
my icemaker will not make ice. the valve that controls the
my icemaker will not make ice. the valve that controls the water flow has been replaced and the icemker has been replaced. the water line to the refrigerator has good flow and is not restricted. there… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
I have a Kitchenaid Refrigerator Model #KSRG25FKBT17 Mfr. date
I have a Kitchenaid Refrigerator Model #KSRG25FKBT17 Mfr. date 3/06 The icemaker has stopped making ice. We've checked the line, no kinks, we've made sure the on/off switch is on, there is no reverse … read more
Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal
Home Appliance Tech,
Stop searching for answers—
I have a kitchenaid french door fridge. last night we discovered
I have a kitchenaid french door fridge. last night we discovered the icemaker is leaking water. you can hear the sound that the water is running to make cubes but the water is leaking out to the floor… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
After installation of new filters to our reverse osmosis filtration
After installation of new filters to our reverse osmosis filtration system, our ice maker quit. A representative from the filtration system increased the pressure. So far, no luck. Any help would be a… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
KITCHENAID SIDE BY SIDE REFRIGERATOR 9 YEARS OLD REPLACED
KITCHENAID SIDE BY SIDE REFRIGERATOR 9 YEARS OLD REPLACED FILTER, SHORTLY AFTERWARD ICE MAKER QUIT REPLACED ICE MAKER NO WATER GOING TO MAKER. WATER STILL GOES TO DOOR. HAVE REMOVED THE ICE FROM THE T… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
Hello I have A Maytag side by side 26 cu ft.refrigerator Model
Hello I have A Maytag side by side 26 cu ft.refrigerator Model #2651HEW.The ice maker not working ,When the arm is down.The door water dispensor still works but i get no ice from the ice dispensor. I … read more
Home Appliance Technician,
Whirlpool Energy Star Side by Side, ice maker stopped working.
Whirlpool Energy Star Side by Side, ice maker stopped working. Is there a trouble shooting process that could identify the problem? The ice maker has been working for the last 25 months.… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
We returned from a 10 vacation, and found that our ice-maker
We returned from a 10 vacation, and found that our ice-maker is not working. Our model number is XXXXX (built- in without dispenser). I did turn off the water inside our home while we were gone--did t… read more
Home Appliance Technician,