We have s refrigerator model GBS 22KNBCC. The freezer (bottom)

Customer Question
part works properly, however the...
part works properly, however the refrigerator part is not working. No air is coming out. I have tried several times to adjust control to higher and lower values but with no effect... Read full answer
We have s refrigerator model GBS 22KNBCC. The freezer (bottom) part works properly, however the refrigerator part is not working. No air is coming out. I have tried several times to adjust control to higher and lower values but with no effect
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/14/2011
Appliance Technician: Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 years ago
Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Hi welcome to just answer my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be helping you today with your problem.

Is the fan inside the freezer working also is the frost on the inside back wall ?

If this has been helpful please press accept.Smile
I believe that the fan inside the freezer is working as I feel the cold air coming out of the back panel in the freezer. There is no frost on the back panel both in the freezer and the refrigerator
What do you have the controls set at ?
Freezer is set at 5, the refrigerator used to be at 5 as well, at the moment is set at 7
Ok at the back of the fridge behind the controls is a vent put your hand over it and turn the freezer down to 1 can you feel any air flow coming out of it ?
I have checked it before. There is airflow coming out in the freezer part there is no airflow coming out in the refrigerator part. A moment ago I set freezer control to 1. It stoped the airflow in the freezer part.
Ok the problem is the air damper it is not opening. It is part # XXXXX in this break down of the controls. From what you have told me it needs to be replaced. You can get it from your local appliance parts store. Just use the model # XXXXX get it.

AppliancePartsPros.com | Controls replacement parts for Maytag GBS22KBNCC Ref - Bottom Mounts
Is it easy to replace it, can I do it by myself? I believe my repair skils are average
Yes it is not to difficult it is something most home owners can do.

Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
I have removed the panel at the top, part #21; there was a screw there. I am not able to remove the panel, part #16. Is there somewhere a screw as well?
It is just clipped on there are no screws holding it.
I have removed the cover, part #16, and part #18. There is now a "hole" at the back panel of the fridge. No airflow is there. It beats me how the air damper is working - it is not electrically connected to the rest of the refrigerator. Are you sure this is the cause of our problem?
So with the damper removed there is still no air coming up ?
Yes, this's right.
In that case the next thing is to remove the inside back wall of the freezer. And check the evap coil for any ice build up.
How this is done? I have checked the fridge and the whole inside looks to be one piece. There is no separate inside back wall of the freezer.
The inside back wall of the freezer is held by four screws two in the top corners and two at the bottom.
I am affraid that you are looking at a different model. The whole inside panel is in one piece, there are no screws. The only screws there are 8 screws, 3+2+3, for the three rack holders.
According to your model # that is how the back panel is held on. # 4 in this breakdown is the panel and you can see the screws.
You mean this 4 screws are from the outside of the fridge? We have our fridge inside a cabinet and I do not have access to the back of the fridge, I would have to remove the fridge from the cabinet - this would be a big job.
No that is inside the freezer.
I apologize for misreading your answers. All the time I read fridge instead of freezer.
I removed the panel. Everything behind is competely frozen, one big block of ice. What might be the reason? We have our fridge for 5 and half years and so far it worked without a smallest problem.
You have a defrost problem. Do you have a ohms tester to check the defrost system out.
No, I don't. But I have noticed one thing. The air damper is probably broken. The extreme positions are either competely opened or 1/3 closed. It is impossible to close it more. O guess it might have been this way from the beginning
Yes it sounds like it. Inside the control panel is the defrost timer. It has a little wheel on it turn it until the fridge shuts off then check to see if the element inside the freezer below the evap. The timer is # 12 in the pic i sent.
I am sorry but I am a bit confused.
a) The timer #12, do I need to remove the cover #2 to get to it.

You write "then check to see if the element inside the freezer below the evap." What you mean by this?

I turned the freeze control to 0 to get the freezer defrost
If there is not a little hole in the cover where the timer is then yes you will need to remove it.
The heating element is below the coil inside the freezer you need to check if it comes on when you turn the wheel on the timer and the fridge shuts off and goes into defrost. You need to turn the fridge on to put it in defrost.
I had it all apart. I removed covers #2 and #5 and got to timer #12 from above. There is no wheel on it.

Would you please send me a word description of parts in your peicture?
Dear Tom,

I believe we have come to a deadlock - probably my skills are not good enough. I would appreciate it if you could call me now at
XXX-XXX-XXXX

and I would ask you a couple of quick questions and the story would be completely over.
It is against the rules to do that it has to be done on here.
Tom,

I removed covers one more time. There is NO wheel on the timer. If you wish, I can take a picture and send it to you. Tom,

I removed covers one more time. There is NO wheel on the timer. If you wish, I can take a picture and send it to you.
Sure send a pic of both sides of it.
I removed the timer and the wheel is on the bottow part I could not see. In the process I got myself into trouble with the plastic band that goes from the control to the air damper.
I am now trying to fix it.
The band will just slip back on.
I hope I have it back in a correct way.

I worry a bit to turn the weel on the timer. I do not know which way to turn it what is off what is on.
You can only turn it one way use a butter knife it will click when it gets to the defrost cycle.
I just want to make sure that I am doing things in a right way.

I have the back panel from the freezer removed. The panel at the back of the refrigerator including the air damper is removed. I will turn the fridge on by setting the freezer control to say 2. Now I will turn on the timer. It should turn of the freezer/fridge and turn on the heating element below the coil. Do I get it right?
Yes that is right.
I turned the freezer control on. The cold air starting flowing also to the refrigerator. Then I turned on the timer wheel till it clicked. The fridge turned off. The heating element (I believe this is a metal rod U-shaped that goes down and below the ribs from the left end all the way to the right end) is not working. I increased the freeze control to 5 to let the fridge working again but it is shut off. When the fridge will start colling again?
On the left of the evap coil is the defrost thermostat it needs to be replaced. This what it looks like. Shut the fridge off turn the wheel on the timer until it clicks again. Then use a hair dryer to defrost the coil. Put the controls in the fridge back together. Once it is all defrosted it will work for a few days until you can replace the thermostat.

I have defrosted the coil an hour ago using the hair dryer. Now there is no ice at all on the coil and ribs. Before I started playing with the timer wheel I checked the fridge. It was working, the cold air was blowing to the freezer and to the fridge. Now I am not able to get it on. I turned again timer wheel till it clicked and then turned the freeze control on. Unfortunately, the freezer will not start working. I tried it 4 times. Please advise.
Does the fan in the freezer run ?
I finally got it working again. The trick was to turn the timer wheel while the freeze control was ON. So the fridge is working again.

We are nearly at the end. I am not able to locate the defrost thermostat. There are so few parts in the freezer that it is frustrating why I do not see it (The timer wheel was hidden behind a plastic wheel that helps the plastic strip to move smoothly). Is it possible that it is a part that is covered by a a black tape?

If I buy a new one, will I be able to replace it by myself?
Yes you can replace it. It only has two wires to worry about and it does not matter which way they go so it is very easy to replace. According to the break down it is on the left top of the evap coil.
I am sure that you are tired of all my questions. I would appreciate it if you bear with me a little bit longer. I am attaching a picture of our fridge. Please help me locate the defrost theormostat.

One more question, what is good place to get spare parts to GE appliences?
You can get it from your local appliance parts store. Ok attach a pic for me and I will see if I can spot the thermostat fro you.
See the brown wire that runs across the front of the fan follow it to the right side it is attached to the thermostat. It is clipped to the copper line.
Got it. It lloks very much different than the one in the picture.

Tom,

I have been a university teacher for 37 years. So when I say that you have excellent skills to explain things I know what I am talking about. And I envy you your patience. I did not turn up to be a good students but thanks to you I managed to learn it.

Best wishes,

Peter
The one in the pic is after market that is why it does not look the same. Thank you for the compliment it is appreciated.
Tom,

the last question.

What is the proper why how the air damper operates. There is a door on the air damper that is attached to a spring. It regulates the width of a slot. The two extremal positions of my air damper is open all the way and shut half way. It never closes completely. Is it OK or I need to buy a new air damper?
I just called GE parts. A new air dumper costs 107.25. Are you able to tell me whether the one I have works properly:

What is the proper why how the air damper operates? There is a door on the air damper that is attached to a spring. It regulates the width of a slot. The two extremal positions of my air damper is open all the way and shuts half way. It never closes completely. Is it OK or I need to buy a new air damper?
It should close all the way so it sounds like it is not operating properly.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Ge monogram Zis48nyb vegetables and fruit bins freezing even
Ge monogram Zis48nyb vegetables and fruit bins freezing even with the fridge setting at off. Upper levels will get to 40°+f while drawers are 20f°… read more
Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson
I have an Amana refrigerator with bottom freezer, model ABL
I have an Amana refrigerator with bottom freezer, model ABL 1922 FES. The freezer is keeping cold but I noticed that the refrigerator portion was not. I tried to adjust the temperature control and dis… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
side by7 side model WSF26C2EXY- ice build up on side- freezer OK food/drink on re
side by7 side model WSF26C2EXY- ice build up on reefer side- freezer OK food/drink on reefer side freezing… read more
Master Tech
Master Tech
Stop searching for answers—
Amanda refrigerator model abc2037dtb Inside door water out
Amanda refrigerator model abc2037dtb Inside door water out freezes and sometimes milk in the in door compartment freezes. The fridge is a steady 37-39 degrees and the freezer 0-10 degrees which does n… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
I have a GE refrigerator. TBF170B. In adjusting the cooling
I have a GE refrigerator. TBF170B. In adjusting the cooling situation, am I correct in thinking that the dial for the fresh vegetable section and the dial for the freezer sections operate independentl… read more
Barry G.
Barry G.
I have a GE Profile Artica PSF26PGSA side by side refrigerator
I have a GE Profile Artica PSF26PGSA side by side refrigerator the freezer and refrigerator temperatures are very unstable.… read more
Tech/owner,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a whirlpool refrigerator/freezer. The freezer is
I have a whirlpool refrigerator/freezer. The freezer is maintaining temperature and making ice, so I believe that it is working properly. However the refrigerator is not. It fluctuates between 40-45 d… read more
Appliance Technician,
I have a side by side model and the freezer is working but
I have a side by side model and the freezer is working but the refrigerator is is not. What could the promblem be ?… read more
romr2009
romr2009
I have a 3 year old GE Profile refrigerator with bottom drawer
I have a 3 year old GE Profile refrigerator with bottom drawer freezer that had a slightly ajar freezer door discovered last night. I removed everything as directed and unplugged the refrigerator beca… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
Greetings, Our 9-year old GE Profile side-by-side refrigerator
Greetings, Our 9-year old GE Profile side-by-side refrigerator model # XXXXX BS went on the fritz yesterday. We noticed the temperature rising in both the refrigerator and freezer compartments, even t… read more
Barry G.
Barry G.
We have a GE Pofile side-by-side refrig (Model#PSS25MSTA SS).
We have a GE Pofile side-by-side refrig (Model#PSS25MSTA SS). Once or twice a year the temperature will suddenly drift upwards (from normal settings of 0 degrees freezer, 37 degrees refrig to as high … read more
Home Appliance Technician,
We have a refrigerator/freezer side by side model MZD2667HEB.
We have a refrigerator/freezer side by side model MZD2667HEB. The unit seem to be working fine, but we had a problem a week ago where the refrigerator door was left slightly adjar. As a result the fre… read more
Repairman1981
Repairman1981
Appliance Repair Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
On my Kitchenaid refrigerator how to make a door adjustment?
Kitchen Aid Superba (refrigerator right side door) does not close properly. Cannot see anything that touches it. Doesn't self close. Bottom has gap at seal.… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
I have a GE side by side refrigerator and I cant get the freezer
I have a GE side by side refrigerator and I can't get the freezer and fridge to stay on the right temperature, I have tried to adjust using the buttons but the freezer won't go back to zero and the fr… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
We have a GE 21.7 no frost refrigerator/freezer, model number
We have a GE 21.7 no frost refrigerator/freezer, model number TFH22PR. The machine is 16 years old. Without any adjustment to the temperature setting it has, in the last several days, started freezing… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
we have a 18.2 cubic ft refrigerator just a little over a year
we have a 18.2 cubic ft refrigerator just a little over a year old several days ago we noticed a louder than normal fan noise we think. freezer is staying cold however the refigerator compartment is n… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
The freezer temp is below 32 degrees, but the refrigerator
The freezer temp is below 32 degrees, but the refrigerator temp is 63. What are the possible problems and solutions?… read more
built1950
built1950
Owner/operator/installer,
Refrigerator section on a 2 door stays at a constant 50 degrees freezer se
Refrigerator/Jenn-Air model# XXXXX Refrigerator contantly runs, Refrigerator section stays a constant 50 degrees even after adjusting control to a higher setting.Freezer section is running colder than… read more
Home Appliance Technician,