Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My Kenmore dishwasher will not spray water. I have been trying

My Kenmore dishwasher will not...
My Kenmore dishwasher will not spray water. I have been trying to get the lower spray arm off but the plastic bolt is shredding and the arm is no looser.
7/13/2011
Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

Is the unit filling with water?

Customer:

yes

Robert :

When it fills up, does the motor engage or hum?

Customer:

yes

Robert :

Ok. Can you get me the model number for your unit? Make sure you put a period after the third number or it will show up as all x's

Customer:

665.16014401

Robert :

I am pulling that up now. The sears site is slow today.

Customer:

thank you- btw I have no idea what I am doing-so hope you are good at what you do!

Robert :

lol, I am.

Robert :

At least I think so...

Customer:

lol

Robert :

How old is this unit?

Customer:

about 5 years

Robert :

This unit was built by Whirlpool and the problem you are having is due to a design flaw in the sump assembly(the sump is the entire plastic assembly in the bottom of the dishwasher that circulates the water and filters the trash out). This sump gets to a point where the screening fails and the unit clogs up and the water stops going through the wash arms.

Customer:

can I fix it or does it need replacement?

Robert :

You can take the pump apart and clean it every three to six months OR you can order the updated sump assembly from sears. The sump costs around 200 - 240 dollars though.

Robert :

Installing the new part will also involve uninstalling the dishwasher and taking the interior parts of the pump apart and removing the entire pump.

Robert :

It is a big job. Not super difficult but time consuming.

Customer:

How do I get to this and is cleaning going to fix it now that it is no longer working????

Robert :

It will fix it because you said it was humming. This confirms that the motor was getting power but clogged to the point that it can't rotate.

Customer:

I am unable to remove the lower spray arm- the plastic bolt is shredding- am I starting in the right place????/

Robert :

The bolt on the wash arm turns the opposite direction to remove the arm itself. If you have stripped it then you may have to lift on one side while turning the bolt to get it off.

Robert :

I found it for less than 200 dollars here:

Robert :

That is the breakdown for the wash arm.

Robert :

You have to hold the wash arm while turning the bolt(in case you didn't know)

Customer:

The bolt will not back out.

Robert :

Crud. You may have to break it off and replace it. I have had to do that one or twice myself.

Robert :

Are you sure you want to sink this kind of money in the machine. The life span is about 10 years on this unit. I just wanted to ask and inform you before you get all into it.

Robert :

If you get the model number for me I can confirm the age for you.

Customer:

I'm afraid that that is slightly above my pay grade! If I ever get it off, is the rest pretty easy? No, we have already spent more than enough on this machine. The next one won't be a Kenmore!

Robert :

The rest is pretty easy. The worst part is seating the new sump assembly and putting the retainers back in. Frustrating sometimes. If it seats crooked(you will be able to tell) it will leak.

Customer:

Ok guess we won't put the effort into this. Thank you.

Robert :

No problem. I would rather you know what you are getting into before I just tell you to order something and leaving you to do it.

Customer:

You have been a great help.

Robert :

Just FYI: The new Whirlpool dishwashers are really good and don't have this problem. GE is good but you have to purchase a mid to high line unit for good cleaning and noise levels.

Robert :

Frigidaire has alot of issues. I don't recommend LG or Samsung because they have limited servicers available

Customer:

thanx for info.

Robert :

No problem. I hope you have a great day! Let me know if you need anything else.

Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Robert
Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician