Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

ge model GSS221FRFBB ice maker makes ice but will not dispense

thru door. auger is free...
ge model GSS221FRFBB ice maker makes ice but will not dispense thru door. auger is free, auger motor works on bench test as well as solenoid. clicking noise in fridge for about 10 minutes or so at a time coinciding with diming of interior lights. held freezer door switch and depress paddle and nothing othe than evaperator motor turns off and dispnser lights dim
7/11/2011
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

There are two things you need to check, one try that again and go to the back of the refrigerator in listen for that click, this is a main control board on it with relays in these boards always fail, the other thing you want to check is the dispenser solenoid, these get rusted and will not open the door to allow ice to flow out, there is a video at the following link to help you with that, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Dispenser-Solenoid/WR62X10055/1194707?modelNumber=GSS22IFPHWW watch the video and take your dispenser part look at this, if it is rusted and doesn't move up and down that is your problem, let me know when you get that done, thanks, Bryan

if indeed the solenoid is the problem wouldnt the auger still move
Yes I'm sorry I misunderstood that, I thought you said you are moved but now I realize it moved when you bench tested it, the solenoid wouldn't be the problem if the auger already that doesn't run, can you tell me does the water still come out if you put it on water?
yes, water is dispensing
Okay try the test I told you if you can, pull a refrigerator away from the wall and going behind it have somebody call for ice cubes for you, you will see an 8 x 10" panel the board I am speaking about is behind that panel listen in that area and see if you hear a click there. Let me know thanks, Bryan
I hear a brief click and then again I can hear the evaporator motor tun off releasing the paddle I can hear what seems to be the chute solenoid and the evaaporater motor kicks back on
Okay was the click from the board? Also when you press it the flap doesn't open correct? Or does it?
the click is from the board and yes the flap opens
Okay, do you have a voltmeter? Could you check power to the or the motor in the freezer section? I would unplug the refrigerator and remove the auger again and put your two probes on the two wires and press for ice holding in the light switch and see if you get 120 V to it, if you do not you board has failed, let me know if you can do that, put a little tape around the probes in the connectors so you don't touch them on anything.,

yes I can check this .but if no power there what board woud be suspect... the main board or the dispenser board?

The main board in the back is the one that will be bad, you see the dispenser board is working because you water works and the flap actually opens this tells me that board is running correctly what's going on is the relay on the main board in the back that feeds power to the auger motor has failed and is not able to send 120 V to the motor, I suspect that your issue to be honest, if you bench test the motor in it works it has to be a power issue and power comes directly from that main power board, the part number is XXXXX this is the latest board in a long string of redesigned boards of these refrigerators, they have had a lot of issues from water supply, fan controls, dispenser issues, compressor issues, so they've had to redesigned these boards like four times I believe, it is been a major headache for GE, hope this helps, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician