Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Matag Bottom Freezer model# XXXXX Serial# XXXXX

Customer Question
which was 7 years old...
I have a Matag Bottom Freezer model# XXXXX Serial# XXXXX which was 7 years old last month. In Jan 2010 the refirgerator stopped cooling and a service man replaced the Defrost Timer and Defrost Thermostat, defrosted the freezer and charged me $537.00. Over the past 2 months the frig has done the same thing 4X. I have not called a service person. I have unloaded, unplugged and let the unit defrost on its own. I clean up the water and plug it back in and it's good as new. I do clean the coils on the bottom probably every 4-6 weeks. I have also pushed the unit all the way back into it's location. What could be the problem with this frig? The first time a service person came out I was clueless and I feel as though I got ripped off. Do you think one of the parts that was replaced 1-1/2 years ago is going bad? Should I have a service person replace the part or would it be best to buy a new frig? It's just me and I work all day so it's not like the frig get a big work out like from a large family? Please advise. Thank you. Penny Keys
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
7/10/2011
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. Lets get started.

Well I can tell you one thing you definitely got ripped off at $537.00 in the first place, the timer and defrost thermostat is the total of $68.00 so I'd say he did pretty well charging you over $450.00 for labor, Wow. At any rate if you really did replace them to begin with one of them could be bad again that is possible but unlikely, this job should've cost you around $160.00 tops so you did get ripped off, what I would do is call around and get some service prices from different companies stay away from that guy. Tell them only that you had the defrost timer in defrost thermostat replaced but don't tell them how much it cost you, just say you didn't like the guy and would rather somebody else come out and look at it give them the model number and asked them what they would charge to replace those two parts if it needed them, you can do this yourself but it's best to test them before ordering them and replacing them, if you wish to do it yourself you would need a voltmeter and know how to check continuity in order to see where the problem lies, let me know what you want to do, like I said most places charge around $160.00 for that whole job with both the parts, and even if it was the defrost heater that's only $28.00, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician