servicegeek
servicegeek, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been a service tech for over 10 years at a leading service company.
47503688

my refrigerator is making a gurgling noise almost like water

Customer Question

my refrigerator is making a gurgling noise almost like water boiling. the sound comes from the freezer area. Also the refrigerator will not turn off so I hear this sound constantly. I took the back panel off and noticed that the coils are somewhat frozen (at least half are). I have unplugged the refrigerator recently overnight and plugged it back in in the morning. When I do this, I can not hear the gurgling noise, however after a while the sound comes back. Is it possible that it is my defrost timer? If so how do I locate it? what does it look like?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  servicegeek replied 6 years ago.
Hey i will help you. That gurgling noise is the freon moving through the lines. Normally when it does this it is overcharged or has lost freon . In your case being the coils are half frozen this means there is a blockage in the evaporator or it is low on charge and has a leak in the sealed system. This repair is must be done by a trained technician. This fridge will soon quit cooling because of this and i wouldn't keep a lot of food in it. Also remember a repair like this can get costly and you might want to look at putting that money into a new unit. Hope this helps and please remember to click accept. Thanks David
If you have no other questions please remember to click accept. Thanks David