Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My Whirpool refrigerator quit providing cold drinking water. It

Customer Question
My Whirpool refrigerator quit providing...
My Whirpool refrigerator quit providing cold drinking water.
It provides ice cubes and crushed ice fine.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
7/6/2011
Appliance Technician: Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician

When you press the water actuator pad on the front do you hear a hum type noise from the back of the refrigerator?
YES I HEAR A HUMMING NOISE.
Ok good remove the lower kick plate to access the water line under the door. There is a quick connect take it off and press the water actuator. Does water come out?

Yes water comes out. However, when I attempted to reconnect line I must have damaged tube retainer as it leaks terrible.

Ok good the water line in the door must be frozen then. Unplug the unit for 12hr with the freezer door open. That will get the unit working again. You can order and replace the connector its around $5

Let me know

YOUR REPLY TO LEAVE FREEZER DOOR OPEN FOR 12 HRS WOULD RUIN ALL FROZEN FOOD IN FREEZER. tHIS IS NOT A PRACTICAL OPTION.

WATER LINE FROM COLD WATER DISPENSER TO QUICK CONNECTOR AT BOTTOM OF FREEZER DOOR IS NOT FROZEN AS THIS WHERE WATER COMES

OUT WHEN I ACTUATE COLD WATER LEVER IN FREEZER DOOR.

WHAT IS POSSIBILITY IT IS THE MICRO SWITCH THAT CONTROLS THE WATER VALVE?

HOW WOULD I CHECK THAT?

THANKS LARRY

The micro switch is good if water comes out at the bottom of the freezer door friend. The line in the freezer door is frozen if water comes out of the bottom. One fix for the issue replace the door. Thats the factory fix if the freezer temp stays between 0 and 15..
Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic