Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

MSD2456GEB side-by-side refrigerator only reaches about 60

Customer Question
degrees on refrigeration side. Took off...
MSD2456GEB side-by-side refrigerator only reaches about 60 degrees on refrigeration side.
Took off back wall cover on inside of freezer section and lots of frost. Used blow drier to get rid of all ice. Still problem persists.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
7/6/2011
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

is the fan in the freezer running?

yes
did you check the damper and returns for frost also when you did this ? can you feel cold air flowing from the freezer to the refrigerator section through the damper?

Not sure what the damper is. I found the small window for air flowing from freezer to refrigerator and there seems to be no cold air. The transparent flap on that window seemed to be closing the air off??? The coils in the freezer compartment are already getting frosted (we defrosted them last nite). Not sure if that is normal. thnx

there should always be frost on the coils but not excessive frost, did you put the back panel back in last night when you finnished defrosting this?
Yes, then I reopened it up this morning and there seems to be more frost developing on the right side of the coils then on the left...appox. 1/8 to 1/4 inch so far
so the coils are not evenly frosted on all of the coils?
It is close but pretty obvious too, that more frost is on the right side. I did an online search yesterday and read that the "adaptive defrost controller on the upper right of the fresh food section" had to be replaced when there was frost on back wall of freezer and the refrigeration side was not cool enough....??? Does this make sense??? thnx
yes thats probably the issue but you should be below 60 in the fresh food section by now if you defrosted this last night, we need to find out what that issue is also, the defrost timer is causing the frost issue most likely but not the airflow issue. this is not frosted up again enough to stop the airlow to refrigerator section yet. your refrigerator is not showing an adaptive defrost board this shows a timer, Main Product View I believe your damper assembly is the issue, # XXXXX is the damper door which opens and closes to let the air flow the the refrigerator section, # XXXXX is the timer,
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
I accepted your answer. Just making sure I don't lose the information you've given me. thanx Appreciate your help and if you can help me more. It looks as if the damper door is near the top of the refrigerator side and not the little side door 1/3 from the bottom that has the transparent flap???
yes the damper is at the top, the flap in the bottom is the return. thanks Bryan
I accepted your answer Bryan and it shows a check mark by "accepted answer". I want to make sure you get paid and I appreciate your help. This is new to me and I am a little apprehensive about it but I don't want to get double charged yet. Would you recommend I take off the top control assembly in the refrigeration side. Also, I unplugged the refrigerator because it has been constantly running.
yes I recieved my pay, just dont hit the accept button anymore and you will be fine. to get to the damper you will need to remove the control assembly. the reason it runs all the time is it doesnt sense the refrigerator section ever gets cold enough therefore it keeps running to compensate, once you get the airflow working this will run correctly. you may not even need a defrost timer if you get the airflow running, thanks Bryan

okay Bryan, I have looked at trying to remove the control assembly and not sure where all the screws/attachments are. Also, waiting for the wife to go to work in a half hour. My question is 1. is it difficult to remove the control assembly? how many screws, i know i have to get behind the styrofoam part. 2. will I also have to go into the freezer compartment and remove the back part of that?

debating on calling for service or digging further with your help. will be back in 45 minutes if that's ok. Tom

p.s. I believe I solved the problem, at least temporarily. Ice was clogging the path from the freezer to the refrigerator. I used the airdryer to soften it and chipped/pulled it away. I also moved the small cover on the freezer side. My question is:

Will this happen again and why? to much stuff in freezer? part not functioning correctly?

Also, still haven't replaced two screws on refrig. side. They go back by the timer but seem to not be able to locate the holes. Hope that isn't a major issue right now.

these screws can sometimes be a pain to get back in, I would let this run overnight and see what its like in the morning if its running correctly let it go for a week or so and get back to me, thanks Bryan

Okay Bryan,

Now it seems that the refrigerator side is warming up again....actually my daughter tells me it got down to 47 degrees during the day. I don't feel any cold air coming from the damper (hole in the styrofoam). I am afraid of the refrigerator constantly running.

If I don't get a response back from you tonight (your time must be about 2 a.m. Thurs. right now) I will check in the morning. Will be glad to tip you more if you help us get it fixed.

So I am thinking it is a defrost issue. How do I know what to replace?

defrost heater & thermostat Assembly

run capacitor

defrost timer....

I have to take my grandaughters to the doctors this morning and have to run and do a job after that, I should be back after 1pm est do you have a volt meter ?

Okay, I bought a volt meter but also already had one that just shows a light and not a number reading. We unplugged the refrigerator last night but I am plugging it in a few minutes every hour or so to keep the freezer side cold....lot of stuff from frig side is on ice in coolers.

I haven't taken the back off the inside of the freezer side to see how much frost is there but just pushing on it seems to indicate a lot of frost has come back on the coils.

What do you think I should do next? thnx

well this sounds like its not defrosting. it probalbly the derfrost timer or the defrost thermostat, you cant check these with a light type tester howevre, you need a volt meter that you can test continuity which needs a dial or digital to test, this the defrost timer, which is inside the refrigerator section in the top, and this is the defrost thermostat and heater assembly which come together as a set, the best thing to do since you don't have the correct meter is to turn the defrost timer the little knob you can see on it with a screwdriver until it clicks into defrost then listen in the freezer and see if you hear a sizzling sound or water hitting the heater as it gets hot, if you hear that then the heater and the thermostat are good and it is going to be the timer, the timer has a motor in it like a clock and every eight hours or so this will go into a defrost cycle, the motor may have failed on the timer inside the timer, this would account for why it's not defrosting, if the heater doesn't get hot in the freezer when you're in this defrost mode then the heater is bad which comes with the thermostat, those are the only two things I can think of that could be causing your problem, let me know what you find, thanks, Bryan

Bryan,

I got this email message saying that feedback is needed. You helped me about 3 weeks ago with refrigerator questions. You were helpful but eventually I just called a service technician and he got our refrigerator running smoothly. Thanks for your help.

Tom, California

thats fine just disregard that, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician