Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Morning. We have a Maytag side by side refrigerator, MSD2651KGB,

Customer Question
'Morning. We have a Maytag side...
'Morning.
We have a Maytag side by side refrigerator, MSD2651KGB, with an ice maker and water dispenser.
Just changed the water filter, it made a shuddering sound when it was installed, and now we get a burst of water from the dispenser before it shuts down to a trickle. We've tried multiple new filters, and the problem remains. The ice maker still seems to be working. Could there be a freezing issue somewhere (or something else?)?
Thanks!
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
7/3/2011
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

when you replaced the water filter it alows more water pressuer which in turn sucked particles into the water valve, this caused the shutter,unfortunately now the valve is clogged but you cant tkae these apart you would need to replace it, this is common. but before ordering this try one thing, pull your crisper drawer in the fresh food section and you will see this. its the water chiller, take a hair dryer to it and warm it up trying the water every few minutes and see it the problem goes away, sometimes these can ice up after you change the filter, if that doesnt work you can order the valve @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Inlet-Valve/67006531/1187394?modelNumber=MSD2651KGB this is located where the water line from the house connects to the refrigerator in the back, thanks Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hello again,

We replaced the water inlet valve and the water tank is not frozen. Still only getting a trickle from the water dispenser. The ice machine is working fine. I'm guessing there is a clog somewhere (maybe even in the water tank -- it seems to have a spring in both the inlet and the outlet). Any additional thoughts?

Thanks!

how do you mean spring?

I just took another look with a flashlight. They aren't springs...they are just grooves on the outside of the inlet and outlet. The shadow from the fridge light made them look like metal (at least to me!).

Thanks.

can you disconnect the plastic line at the bottom of the freezer door ? there should be quick connects, try taking the hoses apart and put it in a bucket and try the water, does it come out into the bucket?
Thanks Bryan. Took the hose apart, and it's still just a trickle. Perhaps there is a blockage in the filter assembly? I don't have a bypass filter handy, but the filter itself is brand new (I've used several filters already).
Okay it sure sounds like you have a blockage somewhere, if you changed the valve and the water chiller is not frozen then there is a blockage somewhere in the lines, this is difficult to find it could be at the filter itself, see if you can find the bypass and try that if you have it try putting it in and see if the water flows any better, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician