Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Make Maytag washer Model LA710 I had to replace the

Make: Maytag washer
Model: LA710

I had to replace the motor on my older MayTag MOdel LA 710 and I had installed the motor carriage (it is a two speed machine) upside down and motor shaft was rubbing on the carriage. I got that corrected and I replaced the drive it runs very slowly on the gentle cycle (slower than it should) and will not spin properly and leaves a great deal of water in the clothes. It spins better on the other speeds, but maybe not quite like it should.

What did I do wrong?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

did you replace the belts in this?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, i replaced the belts. They were old and worn out.
try this loosen the pup and slide it over to tighten the pump belt up, see if that make a dfference, dont go all the way over but maybe a 1/4"
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the pump is already adjusted as tight as it will go. The tension on that belt seems about right, it is definitely not loose.

The belt to the washer drum seems pretty loose. I know the motor shifts, but it still seems pretty loose. I wonder if they sold me the wrong belt? On the other hand my memory is that the original belt was fair loose too....?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I tilted the machine up slighty so I could watch the belt action through the rinse and spin cycle. I am using fast/regular setting. In the part of the cycle where it rotates the drum back and forth it moves VERY slowly. In the spin cycle, is starts slowly and picks up speed, but still doesn't seem to ultimately spin as fast as it should. On the gentle setting it is worse. Should the motor be moving farther over on its carriage - is that what alters the speed of the spin and wash cycles?

the drive belt shouldnt be to loose, go the other way with the pump and see if that tightens it up, if it still does this with the belt tighter then the transmission is bad, the motor alters the spin speeds via the timer, are the springs on the motor mount connected correctly? thats all I can think of,thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There are two belts, one that drives the pump and one that spins the drum. The belt on pump is fine, the one on the drum is loose. I believe the spings are properly mounted on the carriage.
was the belt # XXXXX recieved # XXXXX ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One of the springs was loose. I also loosened the pump belt, it was very tight. That let the springs take up a little more tension. It is working perfectly now.
thats great ! good job. well wishes and thanks, Bryan