Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have a Whirlpool Duet (front load) washer. It gives us

We have a Whirlpool Duet (front load) washer. It gives us the "F" message with a few minutes to go on the full cycle (we use the "normal/casual" option almost all of the time). I have read the manual and it says that this could be "F" variable F4 to F16. When the error occurs, I have noticed that it "beeps" 16 times. I have no idea if this means that F16 is the problem. The problem is intermitent, but seems to be more and more frequent. We used to be able to Drain/Spin and restart the cycle, but now sometimes we seem to have to wait overnight before it will work. No idea why that works, but my wife noticed this bit of black magic. For the record, I have my own ideas about what the "F" means (grin).
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

okay , under the door there is an access panel, there areXXXXXdown near the floor (you almost have to lay on the floor to see them) remove these and take the panel off, behind the panel there is a drain pump trap, unscrew it counter clockwise and pull the trap out, clean it good and put it back in , this will take care of the issue, this is what the pump looks like, make sure you have a towel ready, there will be some water. thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks, Bryan.

I have a load running at the moment. Is there any problem with "cancelling" the load and trying to find the screws that you mention before I accept the answer? We have the washer sitting on top of the drawer that matches the washer (bought with the washer). Will this be in the way?

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
sure take your time
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks, Bryan.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
no actually this makes it easier, open the drwaer and the take the screws out