Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

Just hooked up my KBFA25ERSS refrig and immediately it srated

Customer Question

Just hooked up my KBFA25ERSS refrig and immediately it srated leaking from the filter and from somewhere inside in the back onto the floor...what is up? The connection to the unit is fine, no leaks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

You may have a crack in the plastic line off of the bottom of the water valve OR the water valve itself.

Customer:

OK, but why the leaking from the filter itself, too?

Robert :

Is this a brand new unit.

Customer:

No, at least four years old. I bever had it hooked to water in my old place; just moved to Springfiled VA and had a hook-up available there. I did so, and yipes, gurgling and water all over the floor.

Robert :

Ok.

Robert :

Take the filter out and see it if still leaks.

Customer:

Took the filter out, and seemd to stop it. But latyer I noticed new water on the floor (not much)

Robert :

Did you have the unit in storage at all?

Customer:

not really...it was moved onto a truck tuersday and unloaded into my house yesterday, although getting it into the house required it to be laid flat

Robert :

Laying it flat wouldn't hurt it unless the lines were damaged. The only thing I can assume is the unit ran for 4 years with no water in the plastic lines under the refrigerator area. This may have caused small cracks in the plastic tubing closest to the compressor area. These lines will crack with water in them after about 10 - 12 years but the process could have been sped up due to the lack of water in them. Inspect all of those tubes for leaks and buy a new filter because it could have been damaged in the move. Besides, the charcoal in the filter is probably bad after all those years anyways.

Customer:

thanks...do you recommend a service call? I'm out of my depth taking off the back of this thing

Robert :

Not the whole back. Just the cover over the back of the compressor area. Just unplug the unit. Any cracks can be covered tightly with black waterproof electrical tape. If you call someone out it could cost you well over 100 dollars.

Customer:

OK..will do.

Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

That picture shows you the back panel(#30) over the compressor. I just wanted to give you the pic to make sure you knew what I was referring to.