Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

installed new ice maker , cannot get it to start, water is turned on but not starting. T

installed new ice maker...
installed new ice maker , cannot get it to start, water is turned on but not starting. This is a second ice maker from sears
7/1/2011
Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician

Repairman1981 :

is this one with the ice bucket in the door

Customer:

No, its a bottom freezer. Internal water dispenser in the refig part

Repairman1981 :

And the water works?

Repairman1981 :

And you verified the icemaker is plugged in FULLY, and the door is closing

Customer:

yes, when I turn on valve, the water flows through water dispenser

Repairman1981 :

Ok, well you know supply is good, why did you replace the maker?

Repairman1981 :

Have you seen it manually cycle? I know it's hard on the bottom mount models

Customer:

Because it

Customer:

Replaced b/c malfunctioned and let water keep flowing , before freezing

Customer:

What is manual cycle?

Repairman1981 :

Bad new

Repairman1981 :

bad news

Repairman1981 :

Usually when it runs too long you have a bad VALVE not the icemaker

Repairman1981 :

However since the water did that, you have a frozen fill tube almost 100% for sure

Customer:

how do we know? Is it hopeless

Repairman1981 :

You can try clearing it and see if you got lucky, but usually it will do this if the valve sticks open

Repairman1981 :

Just slide it out, and pull the fill tube out of the back and see if you can blow through it

Repairman1981 :

I am 99% for sure you can't

Customer:

do I disconnect from the freezer wall as the tube enters the back area of ice maker ?

Repairman1981 :

yes and see if you can shine a light through it or get your mouth on it and blow through it

Repairman1981 :

Into the icemaker

Repairman1981 :

You likely can't

Customer:

the tube originates under the ferig by motor, out of sight

Repairman1981 :

right either remove from the valve and blow, or remove from up higher where it goes through and blow through it

Repairman1981 :

Your choice

Repairman1981 :

Or just remove the icemaker again and remove the fill tube and melt the ice

Repairman1981 :

I'm 99% sure you will have it if the icemaker flooded the fridge

Customer:

Ok, I disconnected water tube right at the connector and can blow through a straw into freezer. Does this tell me something or just make me look silly?

Repairman1981 :

that means it's not frozen

Repairman1981 :

Means the valve is bad

Repairman1981 :

To test this and BE SURE

Repairman1981 :

You can swap the wiring on the valve

Repairman1981 :

Then press your dispenser button

Repairman1981 :

This should then fill the icemaker if the valve is good

Repairman1981 :

If you still have no water you have a bad valve

Customer:

swap the wiring?

Repairman1981 :

there are 2 wiring connectors on the valve (maybe 4 but we're worried about the 2 on the end of the loop going to the maker and the door) and you swap those 2

Customer:

this is all internal, the only wiring is connecting ice maker to the part inside , can a pharmacist do this

Repairman1981 :

the valve is on the back down low by the water line you said that goes into it

Repairman1981 :

It's servicable

Repairman1981 :

If you can change that icemaker I would say so

Repairman1981 :

I think valves are easier to change than a bottom mount maker

Repairman1981 :

Your call though, if you could blow through it the only other cause is a bad valve but I like to be sur3

Repairman1981 :

sure

Customer:

is it underneath?

Repairman1981 :

no

Repairman1981 :

Just behind the panel in the machine compartment

Repairman1981 :

You don't have to pick it up or anything

Customer:

there is a white connector where the tube goes in, is it there?

Repairman1981 :

if you wanna post your model I can try to get you a diagram

Repairman1981 :

Or you can follow the water line

Repairman1981 :

It's iniside the panel though

Customer:

I think I'm over my head. I'll hook water tube back up. and give up. I've sunk enough money into this already unless you come out tonight

Customer:

What would a repairman charge to replace?

Repairman1981 :

In nashville

Repairman1981 :

I gladly can

Repairman1981 :

Honestly I couldn't even try to ballpark it

Repairman1981 :

I run a small business working for myself

Repairman1981 :

75 for me to do it TOTAL, company I used to work for would be 89.99+75.50, so

Repairman1981 :

If your in california or something maybe more

Repairman1981 :

Can't really say

Customer:

Thanks for the service.

Repairman1981 :

no problem, sorry I couldn't guide you enough you feel comfortable, if you change your mind come back to this question, don't open a new one, and

Repairman1981 :

I can help you further

Repairman1981 :

Honestly if you can change the maker you could change the valve

Repairman1981 :

but if your not comfortable I can't push you, you could get shocked or cause a leak or something

Repairman1981 :

So you need to do what you feel comfortable with

Repairman1981 :

That is why I run a repair business people don't like doing everything themselves

Repairman1981 :

Please do remember to leave feedback after clicking accept. Thanks!

Customer:

should I buy a valve and take the back off then open this quaetion again? Do I go ahead and hit accept and return when I get a valve, if I become adventurous

Repairman1981 :

yes, and if you buy the valve and call a tech and just ask for charge to replace it you will get a better price because of no 2nd trip

Repairman1981 :

just simple economics

Repairman1981
Repairman1981
Repairman1981