Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

whirlpool gold refrigerator. model G565HAXL802 serial number…

Customer Question
whirlpool gold refrigerator. model...
whirlpool gold refrigerator.
model G565HAXL802
serial number SM3352347
manufactured 08/02

icemaker not working
water comes up to the back of the refrigerator.
line is clean from the valve/icemaker (not frozen).
We can still get water from the door dispenser.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Appliance
7/1/2011
Appliance Technician: Barry G., Home Appliance Technician replied 7 years ago
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you. Click the pictures to enlarge them.

Open the freezer and look to the right. That light pictured below should be blinking 2 times and then a pause and repeat. The one that is labeled status LED?

graphic
View Full Image

Then if you push the lever on the left keeping your hand and arm low the light should turn solid. Is that happening?

graphic
View Full Image

Try to feel the ice maker, are your ejector blades in about the same position as the picture below? Is the ice maker empty?

Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE

graphic
View Full Image

Light on the right is solid red...not blinking.

Door on the left is closed.

Ejecter blades are at the angle shown.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX lever in either position you cannot get a blinking light? If not try unplugging the refrigerator for 10 minutes then watch it for 2 if it does start working and let me know.

Barry

just tried opening the door (lever) on the left again.

the light is blinking in a rythem of 2 times....but doesn't stay lit.

should we still unplug? We've tried that earlier and it didn't do anything

No thats ok. 2 times and a repeat indicates the parts are working properly.

There are 2 types of fill tubes for the ice maker, one that comes in from the top and lets the water into the ice maker and one that comes in from the back. If its from the top can you squeeze that rubber. Does it feel hard like it has ice in it?

Barry

it does not feel like it has ice in it, very plyable. and we used the air compressor on it and the air came through...no restrictions.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX just a few minutes to type all of this out.

Barry
The inlet valve is a dual valve in one body. One side is for the dispenser and the other is for the ice maker. The ice maker side is not working. However if you want to test you can if you have a volt meter. Follow the ice maker water line down to the inlet valve and disconnect the wire connector on that side of the inlet valve. Set your meter above 120 VAC and insert the probes in that connector.

Follow the instructions below to get the ice maker out. Leave the wire connector connected.
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
View Full Image
View Full Image

In the picture below is the face plate. You will need to remove that. I know its not exactly the ice maker you have but yours comes off just as pictured.
graphic
View Full Image
View Full Image
View Full Image
View Full Image
View Full Image

Strip a small piece of insulated wire an put the ends into the holes marked T and H as pictured below.
graphic
View Full Image
View Full Image
View Full Image
View Full Image
View Full Image

Tape the door switch and emitter which is the lever to your left just like it would be if the freezer door was shut. Be sure not to block the invisible beam that goes across.

graphic
View Full Image
View Full Image

In a minute the ice maker should begin to cycle. If it does cycle let it turn about a quarter of the way around and remove the wire. AT THIS POINT IT MAY SPARK, then It should then continue on its own. If it cycles which it should go around and watch the volt meter, briefly for about 2 seconds there should be voltage near the end of the ice maker cycle. If so then replace the inlet valve. If not let me know.

One place that has inlet valve online is LOCATED HERE. There is a picture to look at there if you need to look. The part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>
The inlet valve is the first part your homes water supply connects to. To replace it UNPLUG THE UNIT. Turn off the water, remove the screws holding it on and pull it out where you can work with it. If you look where the plastic lines go into the valve you will see a white or yellow ring. Press that down in toward the valve while pressing the line in at the same time. Then pull the line out while holding the ring down. Simply push the line in the new valve and give it a light tug to be sure its seated.

Once you get all the water lines changed pull a wire connector off the old valve and push it on the new. Do that one at a time so you do not get them mixed up. Thats it. Plug up the unit and turn everything on and it will all start automatically.

For now turn the ice maker off. Its not good for it to cycle without water, it will cycle way to often.

Barry
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician