Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Maytag Series 3000 Washer keeps displaying error F21. Ive

Customer Question

My Maytag Series 3000 Washer keeps displaying error F21. I've cleaned the long drain behind the bottom front panel and also checked all the hoses and none of which are kinked or clogged. The washer will complete all cycles and drain like normal when empty, but will display F21 when filled with clothes. I've put a very small load in (2 shirts and a pair of jeans) to make sure it was draining properly and am still getting error F21. Help!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

When you get the error F21 is there actually water in the tub that you can see? Or does all the water appear to have been drained out even though it's giving you the error?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
At first the water was completely out of the tub and I cleaned the drain and started it again. The water was again out of the tub but I was still getting F21. I drained it again, took out all the clothes and then started it empty. It cycled completely and normally. I put a few clothes in and started it and now I am still getting F21 and I can see the tub is about 1/4 full.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
ok well if you can see that the tub has water in it when you're getting and F21 error, then you just need to order and replace the drain pump because if the drain catch is clear, you need to order and replace the drain pump.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If I needed to replace the drain pump wouldn't it give the same error when empty?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
yes and no. You can't see how high the water is. just because it's not above the basket wher eyou can see the water doesn't mean that it's not below the basket. It measures the pressure from the water weight and if you still have water in the tub after 3 minutes of trying to drain, it gives you the error code.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
But when it cycled completely without any clothes it unlocked the door. Doesn't that mean that the water completely drained? When the tub appeared empty but I was getting the F21 it wouldn't unlock the door at all? Could it still be the drain pump?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
Yes, it can still be the drain pump. The clothes have no effect on the error whatsoever.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do I tell if it's for sure the drain pump if it could give me F21 either way. I just don't want to replace it if it's not for sure the problem.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
you can't, but if you saw water EVER inside the unit when the error code popped up, then that means it went through 3 minutes of draining and it did NOT drain out the water obviously, that means you need a new drain pump because you say the drain catch is clear.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've started it and watched it and before giving F21 it is giving SUD meaning there was too much detergent used. I didn't use any but there could be some on the clothes when she originally washed them and we received the error. Would this change the diagnosis?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
no, Suds and F21 means the same thing.