Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I cannot open the dishwasher the handle seems loose and will

Customer Question
not engage the locking mechinisim...
I cannot open the dishwasher the handle seems loose and will not engage the locking mechinisim
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/26/2011
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is Bryan,I look forward to helping you today. lets get started.

can you get us the model # from inside on the side wall?

Hi Bryon I have the installation manual.

It is a 1998 build in kudc series on back cover it says 1998 kitchenAid part no 9743822 rev a.

a lot of the time the latch gets bent on these making it hard to open, you can try bending this up slightly (not to much or it wont latch) if that doesnt work you will need to replace the latch actuator, the latch is part # 31 on this diagram the actuator is part # 5 on this diagram, there are diagrams at the following link, diagrams hope this helps, you may want to check # 9 on the second diagram also, make sure one of the plastic pins hasn't broken, yours may be a different color you didn't give me the full model number but this is the KUDC dishwasher diagrams, I hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician