Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Our Maytag epic z front loading washer is leaking from the

Customer Question
door. I opened it...
Our Maytag epic z front loading washer is leaking from the door. I opened it after running a load, noticed a wet floor, a ripped shirt, and the wire band that holds the grey, rubber seal in place 3/4s off.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/19/2011
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 6 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

It sounds like the front rubber seal came off which is why it's leaking. Look around and make sure a hole isn't ripped in it or else you'd need to replace the entire seal. If the retainer ring is back on the washer but the rubber seal looks distorted, the rubber door gasket just needs to be replaced unfortunately.

where do I get the rubber seal?

And how hard is it to install? Seems pretty straight forward.

it's fairly easy to replace. Below is a link to a video that will show you how to do it. The only different between the video and your model is that there is a size 7mm worm clamp screw in the upper right corner holding the back of your rubber gasket in place. Loosen the screw to pull the gasket off completely. As for the part, you'll need a model number to look the part up, then you can order the part wherever, I'll give you a link to the place I recommend ordering the part from as well. The model should be located on a sticker around the door way somewhere and can be seen if you open up the door.

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

CLICK HERE FOR PART

ok, if I have any questions as we fix this can I ask you without having to pay again?
of course. There are 30 days you can ask as many follow up questions as you'd like at no charge even after accepting. Just post back here and don't start a new question.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

OK, thanks.

no problem and good luck.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
I have a may tag epic z. I removed the outside gasket per video but the inside part of the door seal gasket does not have the tab displayed in the video. Instead there is a tab on the inside of the seal . Puling that out or up has not resulted in the seal coming off. What am I missing?
The video states there is sometimes a screw at the top right corner you have to unscrew. This is the model that happens to have that screw. It should be a size 7mm hex screw that you need to loosen because it is connected to a worm clamp around the back of the rubber gasket that you need to loosen to remove the rubber gasket.

I cannot find the 7 mm hex nut. It is not on the top right. On the lower left I can feel the mechanism that holds the gasket but it is not a hex nut.
no, it's definitely in the top right unless the gasket has been removed already and not installed properly. Just start where the rubber tab is located in the video and place your fingers up there. Then slide them around until you feel a metal buckle. That is the screw in the upper right corner you need to loosen.

I started at top of back seal. I found the c clap but it is on the left side at the 9 o-clock position. I cannot see it but feel it. It does appear to be a hex nut.
I really couldn't say why it's over there, it sounds like the unit may have been worked on before? Either way, that hex nut needs to be loosened and it's very tight so it's hard to get at.

The installers had some trouble and had to come back.
The top of the nut is smooth and round and I cannot find another nut or screw top. Am I missing something? I have a 7mm wrench but ere is no where for itnto grab.
I'm not sure without being there, as I stated, it should be in the upper right corner. If it's in the upper left corner that's going to be extra tight because the cement block will be in your way.

There are cement blocks all around. There in one in the upper right and upper left. Should I take the front off? Or will that add tonthe complexity.
well that is going to be a task, but yes that will be the next step if you can't access it through the door way. The top panel, then the control panel and then the front will need to be removed.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc