Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

we have a Whirlpool Gold refrigerator freezer, model number

we have a Whirlpool Gold refrigerator freezer, model number GB22DK XJB01, P1323704W B that is at least 7 or 8 years old. Freezer works fine. Refrigerator quit cooling last week after a year in the same location. Pulled back covers. Fan works fine, no obvious problem, not overly dusty (vacuumed out anyway). I set reefer to coldest setting, still no cold air blowing. Seems that there is an internal fan (that I cannot see) that is not coming on. Thermostat in reefer gets cool to the touch, sensor coil does not.

Is there an internal fan and is it worth fixing? Or is it something else altogether?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Do you see any Frost on the back panel inside the freezer behind the food marked

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no frost anywhere. freezer is on bootom. very cold.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Okay if the fan in the freezer is running and you not getting airflow into the refrigerator section most likely the damper is bad, this is what opens and closes to let the airflow from the freezer into the refrigerator section to cool it down, Main Product Viewit's part number 15 on this diagram it's inside the refrigerator section with the knob you turn to turn up or down the temperature is , you need to take the cover off that and see if it's opening, if you need to order the damper you can get a the following link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermostat/R0161049/223352 thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Damper was in full open position, ie, the plastic flap that would cut off airflow was wide open. I presume it works by cooling the metal under the plastic "pointer" that pushes up the flap, allowing the pointer to go down into the damper, allowing the spring to pull the flap closed. If so, then it would appear to be doing its job because the flap was wide open. any other thoughts?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Well if it's wide-open is no airflow coming through you are Frost about inside the freezer section behind the back panel, behind the food in the freezer, you will need to remove that back panel and take a look at the coils they are probably clogged with Frost and not allowing air to flow over them into the refrigerator section, if you have an icemaker in there you will need to remove the and then the panel, let me know what you find when you get it open thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Have it open. No frost visible. Very small amounts of tiny ice that is melting and sizzling on something as water falls thru coil. Waiting on condensor to kick on to see if fan is operational, but it seemed to be before I got started because when compressor was on, I could feel air coming out in freezer but reefer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Now we are getting somewhere. Compressor came on. with damper reinstalled, plenty of air was coming thru into the reefer compartment, right up until I closed the freezer door! Obviously, there is some sort of return airflow from the reefer compartment to the freezer compartment that is clogged up so that when I close the freezer door, the fan cannot push air into the reefer compartment. Problem is, I dont see or feel a return airflow with the freezer door open.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
are you still thinking or out of ideas?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
sorry I was offline. had to go out. it was in a defroist cycle when you opened the freezer panel, you wont get full air flow if the panel is off andf the freezer door is open, your returns may be clogged,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
not sure I understand. I AM getting airflow into the reefer with the freezer door open. When I close it, that is when the air is cutting off. How does the air return to the freezer compartment from the reefer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
yes there are returns comming from the refrigerator back into the freezer, the air has to circulate through the damper and then back into the freezer, there are return vents, if you don't have them it's like the fan against the wall you will get any air flow, you need to locate and check the returns.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
understood. can you diagram where they are located? I assume they have to be within the cooled areas, but I cannot see them.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
The best I can do is send you a link to all the diagrams, all refrigerators are different so you look at the diagrams and find the returns, here's the link, diagrams
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Return is on the bottom left of the reefer compartment. Pulled everything out to find it. It is virtually flush with the bottom. Dont knowwhat was over it, but apparently there was something. Cant see it unless everything is out of the bottom. Have it running now with airflow into reefer. Will see if it cools. If does, I will pay you.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Okay great, if it was blocked this was the issue I hope, let me know, thanks, Bryan