Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Whirpool refrigerator, model number GX5SHDXVQ00 and

Customer Question
the top section is not...
I have a Whirpool refrigerator, model number GX5SHDXVQ00 and the top section is not staying cool. The botton section which is the freezer is working fine. I checcked doors ,temperature gage, etc and I am not sure what could be causing the problem. The motor runs as well. Do you have any ideas? Thanks
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/16/2011
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Okay, can you open the bottom (freezer door) and look behind the food real good and tell me if there is any Frost on the back panel inside the freezer and the food, check real good reach in and scrape it with your fingernails if you need to, also is the fan in the freezer running? Let me know thanks, Bryan

No frost or condensation and fan in freezer is running
Okay can you tell me if you feel any air coming through the vent from the freezer to the refrigerator section? You should be feeling cold air coming through part number 11 on this diagram, is there airflow?
Not sure wher I am looking, Is this under the bottom pull out drawer at bottm of refrigerator?
I pulled drawer out and there is some type of vent in back left corner (facing the refrigerator) and I don't feel any air comming out. I aslo noticed some water (not much) under drawer as well.
Your finding water in the freezer section? Not frozen?
Not in freezer section but at bottom of refrigerator section under the bottom pull out vegtable storage drawer.
So the water is in the refrigerator section okay this is the bottom freezer refrigerator correct that's what you said above?
yes this frig has a pull out freezer drawer. Top section is refrigerator with 2 pull out doors and bootom section is freezer pull out. Water could be do to soemthing elase as i cleaned it out ( not much anyway) and no water has come back so it could have been soemthing there for awhile.
Okay you don't want to be feeling for air in the freezer section flowing through the vent you want to check in the refrigerator section the part I showed you above, this should be air coming from the freezer up into that area if not then you damper assembly has failed, I'm gathering the freezer is still freezing stuff solid correct? Have you heard any clicking or buzzing coming from the back of the refrigerator if you pull it away from the wall?
Freezer section is running fine. I pulled it waya from wall earlier just in case something was blocked and I have not heard any clicking or buzzing. I dont feel any air comming up in refrigerator section. There are 2 vents in bottom of refrigerator section ( in back of refrigerator, left and right) and i don't feel any air comming out of either vent.
Okay the two vents in the bottom back of the refrigerator section are return vents. These are what feeds the air back into the freezer as it circulates, you need to replace your damper assembly, it's not opening letting the airflow, this is electronic and motor has failed on it, it's part number 15 on the diagram above, that will take care of it, thanks, Bryan

Can you tell me what you think it will cost to replace this?

Sorry, if a repair man replace this you probably looking at about $130.00 Sears has this for $54.43 if you click on this blue link it will take you to the part if you wish to replace this yourself, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician