Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Whirlpool oven does not work. Everything else does. Gas regulator

Customer Question
shut-off valve is on....
Whirlpool oven does not work. Everything else does. Gas regulator shut-off valve is on.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/13/2011
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Do you know if the igniter is glowing in the oven when you turn it on?

It does not glow.
Okay do you have a voltmeter? If so you need to check voltage to the igniter by unplugging it and testing for 120 Volts to it, if it's getting voltage the igniter is bad, if not we will need to check some other the things in this, let me know if you are able to do these tests, thanks, Bryan
I do not have one. I can go buy one and be back in 45 minutes.
ok sure , I'll be here.
I'm leaving.
okay talk after, Bryan
I'm back. I left the oven on when I left, now it's working. It doesn't work all the time.
Okay that's kind of strange, I believe the problem is going to be the igniter but if you could let it cool down and get at the plug for the igniter and unplug it then put your probes in the two connectors coming from the oven itself and turn the oven on to bake, you should get 120 Volts. Can you do that and let me know?
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Let me do it now.
okay I'll be here.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
I bought a commercial electric brand volt meter model mas830b and there's no where to open for battery placement.
I'm not sure which voltmeter you have I can't really look that up, does it have a rubber part around the whole thing? If so you need to remove that rubber it pulls off in this should be a screw in the back Phillips head that you remove to put the battery in, also please don't keep pressing the accept button you will be charged for each time I do not want you to have to pay twice, just press reply when you want reply to me, most commercial voltmeters have a rubber shock piece around the sides and back that you can take off sometimes there little hard to get them off though but it should come off if there is one let me know, thanks, Bryan

I found it, had to remove protective boot.

Is the igniter located at the back, bottom area, exterior, and next to the regulator shut-off valve?

it should be accessable through the drawer in the bottom, try that
I see it. I diconnected the two wires and got no reading but ovens working.
it may have been a loose conection, if it happens again come back and we can continue, you have 30 days to come back if you require further assistance, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician