Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Spacemaker xl1800 It has stopped working. The light

Customer Question

I have a Spacemaker xl1800
It has stopped working. The light does not come on inside, however there is power to the unit. The timer works but when you try and use the mircrowave to cook- it times it but does not power on to cook the food- what could be the cause of this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

There is no reset button most likely one you door switches has failed this is the most common cause for your problem, can you get me the full model number from the inside of the microwave on the side wall?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
JVM1870sk03
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

okay the door switches are # XXXXX and 68 on this diagram, you will need a volt meter to check the switches, this is what the switches look like, one is bad, you can order these @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Interlock-Switch/WB24X829/253819?modelNumber=JVM1870SK03 hope this helps, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there an online owners manual that would show me how to open it up to get to the switches?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

no manual but I think I can get you a video, be carefull when working on these also, dont reach into the main control panel to far there is high voltage even when this is unplugged. give me a few minute to see what I can get to you for a video.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
here is one video of a whirlpool microwave but the are basicly the same, you will need to see if there are screws going in from the side of the control panel when you open the door however. some have the screws there. here is the video, click this blue link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLPJoh3O9KA&feature=related
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks- wish me luck! appreciate the response
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Unfortunatly the online videos and online info I found from the GE website dont show us how to open up the front cover. Ours does not have the screws at the top. the only thing I can see is taking the entire unit down from the wall and seeing if there is a another entry. I even called GE but they would not tell me. Any suggestions?

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I've sent you all the info I could find on these, they change them all the time, we cant even keep up with the changes, sorry, thanks Bryan