Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

How do I get the door off a GE Monogram built-in microwave I

Customer Question
How do I get the...
How do I get the door off a GE Monogram built-in microwave?
I have a new door to install for replacement of the defective door.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/8/2011
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Can you open the door and on the side wall there will be a tag with a full model number can you get that to me ? thanks, Bryan

I am not at the location where the microwave is at. I am going to phone and see if anyone is home. Give me 5 min.
ok
Model # XXXXX XXXXX
Do you need the serial #?
No I don't need the serial number I've got the diagram up now this one is the one that you pull down to open if I'm correct I've had this one before, first thing you better need to deal is remove the inner choke which is like a plastic trim piece on the inside of the door, # XXXXX on the diagram, that choke piece 1804 is snapped in you need to gently pry the choke piece off and then under that you will see the bolts that hold the inner skin of the door and there are screws along the top also this is a real difficult one to explain but I think the diagram will give you an idea on how to do it, start by getting the choke piece off and then you will see a lot better how these, part I you replace in the outer skin? If so you can see the screws that hold the handle once you get the choke off, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
I am trying to size this to print all

I'm sending you the link so you can look at all of diagrams

diagram link this will give you access to all of diagrams and you can resize them in do they print out, you really need to look at a good I realize that, just click that blue link that says diagram link it will take you right to the diagrams, thanks, Bryan

That makes it much easier to work with. I will have to go over to the house where the microwave is at to see if that works. What do you think
would be the best tool to use to remove the choke?
I will get back to you ASAP.
I got a new door because the finish came off the inside of the door.
sorry i was eating dinner, usually a putty knife works good,

The house is 3 miles from where I am at.

I will be going there in about 1 hour.

What time would it be best to get back to you if I have any problems.

I am taking this laptop with me. (Finish your dinner!)

ok I'll keep checking my messages. thanks Bryan

Hi Bryan,

I have removed item 1804 and there are no screws seen. There is the hold down rack and the back end of scerws.

Hi Bryan,

Model No. ZSC2001FSS 01

which part on the diagram are you replacing? its been awhile since I've worked on one of these.

Hi Byran,

I am trying to remove the old door and put on the new door GE Monogram sent me.

There are 4 flathead screws 2 on each side of the bottom, 2 flathead screws 1 on each toward the bottom, and 4 botton head screws on the top outside, 2 on each top end.

So they sent you the whole door assembly all put together handle and glass and all?
YES!!!!!!!!!!!
Okay on the new door they hinge pieces should be right on it correct? Sticking out at the bottom? I remember doing my brothers was the last time I had to work on one and I am trying to remember how you unlock the hinges because you can take this off hinges and all and slide the new one in it from correct I just can't get a look at the hinges I can't find pictures of them right now, I think if you open the door all the way down there may be little holes in the hinges you could put like small nails through to hold the hinge down and then lift up like your shutting the door and it should slide out, tell me if there is holes in the hinges that you could put nails like finish nails through,

There is about a 1/8" hole on each hinge. I will see if there are any nails or anything about that diameter.

I will get back to your answer.

ok if you can get something through each hole then act like your closing the door and lift up and the door should come off hinges and all.

GREAT I have the door off!

Any idea on the best way to open the hinges so I can get to the holes.

thats the though part ! try placing the door patialy in the microwave and lowering it to put the nails through. in other act like your putting the door on, and then open it. these hinges are spring loaded and its tough to do. they should send them with nails in them,
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Thank you Bryan,

I grabed the hinge with a pair of soft vicegrips and opened then untill I could put a nail in each. Reinstaled the same way I took the door out.Cool

It worked just fineLaughing. The door opens and closes without falling off!Wink

your very welcome Ron, glad I could remember. have a great night, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician