Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

GE washing machine fills with water but will not agitate of

Customer Question
GE washing machine fills with...
GE washing machine fills with water but will not agitate of spin. It does not sound like the timer is advancing. Model is WBB4500G2WW.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/3/2011
Appliance Technician: Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 6 years ago
Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Whrlp Master Tech
it is not the water level pressure switch. From what i could tell all that does is tell the machine to fill and when it is filled to the right level the pressure in the little pressure hose breaks the connection and the machine stops filling. Which happens but then nothing more happens

Then a second connection as you call it makes and advances the timer /control to start agitating.

So it fills and then does nothing elses ,it is the pressure switch .

the part came and i put it in and there is no change. I by passed the lid lock to see if that was it but it was not. What else could it be?
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
when I contacted him for further information he did not reply
Appliance Technician: Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech replied 6 years ago
Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Hi....Bob Here ,I see you are having problems with your washer...I Most common problem will be a fuse ..The fuse is located under the black taped wire harness inside the cabinet..This washer has a computer board mounted on the motor itself..Remove the front panel..look form the led light flashing on the motor itself..Count the number of flashes ..This will tell you where the problem is..Once you count the number of flashes or no flashes..Remove the back cover to the control panel..There will be a error guide that tells you what the problem is..From the number of flashes ..But like i said most common problem is the fuse..CLICK HERE FOR FUSE
Thank you. I will go check that and get back with you asap.
Yes ..DO that post back with your results..Thanks Bob
sorry I had not gotten back to you sooner, life got in the way. I am going to check what you suggested now and get back with you later today. thank you
Great Let me know..Thanks Bob
Bob L Your  Appl Pal
i was just checking my credit card and i did not see your bonus on it. I am not that good with the computer and maybe pushed the wrong button.
It shows that $25.00 was paid on 6/16/11..No bonus was added..You can add the bonus on this reply if you wish..Thanks Bob
Bob L Your  Appl Pal
hi I am back about the same machine GE washer model #WWBB4500G2WW I replaced the fuse and it worked onece and then the fuse blew again. I can't find the paper with the codes on it but the little green light flashed 4 times. help
4 flashes - Mode shifter circuit failed. If this error code comes up the motor will still operate but if the mode shifter circuit has failed the washer will not agitate properly. To check the mode shifter, first start the washer. Then when the washer starts agitating, look at the tub from the outside. If the whole inside tub is turning back and forth while in agitate, the mode shifter is bad. If the mode shifter is not bad then clear the code as described below and if the code reoccurs replace the motor. See the section on how to check the sifter coil below for more on this.

All GE HydroWave washers have a shaft and tube as opposed to the old transmission. How this works is there is a sifter that shifts the washer from wash to spin mode. This is done with the sifter coil. The sifter coil is basically a solenoid that pulls up a set of gears that lock into another set of gears for wash mode and for spin mode it simply disengages. In other words, with the gears disengaged the spin basket turns with the agitator and with the gears engaged the agitator spins independently from the spin basket.

When the coil fails it can no longer engage the gears, therefore the gears stay disengaged all the time. This will cause the spin basket to turn with the agitator even during the wash cycle. This will make the washer become noisy during wash and it will not wash as it is designed to. Not to mention this is very rough on the machine in general because it is not designed to handle a full tub of water turning back and forth continually. Also this will cause motor to flag the four-flash error code, which stands for a failed shifter.

If your washer has the symptoms I described above more than likely the sifter has failed but there is a very slim chance the motor is causing this problem by not powering up the coil for wash mode. Check the sifter coil and if it is bad replace it and if not replace the motor. Follow these steps to check the sifter coil.

1. Disconnect power from the washer.

2. Remove the front off the washer.

3. Disconnect the sifter coil from the motor. It will be the only plug with only two terminals. It will also be the third plug from the left. (see picture below)

4. Then test for continuity across the two wires. You should get around 98 ohms, the important thing is if it is open or not. If it is open replace the shaft and tube and if it is around 98 ohms replace the motor.
Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your  Appl Pal