Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My clothes dryer hums but does not turn the drum. I removed

My clothes dryer hums but does not turn the drum. I removed the plate from the back of the control panel and there is a burn spot on the inside of the plate that came from the large screw on the left side. I don't see any lose wires. What could have caused the short and is there a fuse that has blown that is causing the dryer not to run? Can you help me repair this?

Thanks,

Don
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The only fuse on this machine would actually cut power to the entire unit and you'd have no signs of life. If you hear the unit humming when the drum should spin and the unit isn't actually spinning, then either your belt is broken or the motor is faulty and will need to be replaced.

As far as the burn mark goes, you'd just need to just look and see what might cause that. I'm not there so it's difficult to speculate if you have a broken wire or a shorted timer or what, but it doesn't appear to be affecting anything so it might just have come during manufacturing.