Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

GE trash compactor runs and will not shut off - but does not

Customer Question
compact. Now door will...
GE trash compactor runs and will not shut off - but does not compact. Now door will not open(ram not all the way up?).
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/1/2011
Appliance Technician: The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

What you will have to do is remove the unit from the counter and manually operate the ram. most likely you have a failed limit switch. this is a common failure with these units. Please stand by and I will get you parts and repair information.

The Home Smithy :

Please check the model number. It isnt showing as a good number at my parts suppliers.
Thank you

The Home Smithy :

Please click here to download the service manual for this model series.

Customer:

I may have the model # XXXXX - will check as soon as I get the door open. I have the unit out - I assume I have to take the back cover off to get to the ram?

The Home Smithy :

You need to remove the bottom cover and manually operate the gears to get the ram back up.

The Home Smithy :

The service manual I sent you (see link above) will show you how to do this.