Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

How to test water inlet valve on GE side by side

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/22/2011
Appliance Technician: Barry G., Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

There are a couple of ways according to whats not working. Is the ice maker not getting water for ice or is there no water for the dispenser?

Barry
As far as I know it's working. I have heard the ice fall. The water dispenser was working this morning. I've also checked to see if the water to the house was shut off:)
Remove the kick panel just below the doors. There is a water line coming out of the freezer door that goes to a connector. Press the white part of that connector in toward the connector and push the line in at the same time then pull the line to seperate it. Press the dispenser for water. Did water come out where you seperated it?

Barry
I'll check
Take your time please, be safe. I will be here.

Barry
I did as you said; I separated the line and pushed the water dispenser...no water came out.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX have a volt meter?

Barry
Yes I do. However, I'm weird. I went back to the connector and blew air as hard as I could. Water is now coming out of the dispenser!! Don't know if our limey water is the cause...but it works now!
Ha what about that. Ok I will put a refund request in for you. If you need to return another time please do. You will need to let me know you got this message.

Barry
Oh, keep it!! I didn't know where to start looking after I checked the filter! Barb
Well stay with me a minute Barb, let me type out how to test the next time so you will have it and the part number in case you need it.

Barry
OK!!
I guess you already know which side of the inlet valve is the water dispenser. I drew the tip of the red arrow as close as I could to the left side. Unplug the refrigerator and remove the lower back panel. Pull the wire connector off the left side and insert one side of your meter in each side of that connector. If you get voltage the inlet valve is bad.

The part number WR57X10032 That is a factory number you can shop anywhere with. One place that has it online is LOCATED HERE. There is a picture to look at there if you need to look.

The inlet valve is the first part your homes water supply connects to. To replace it UNPLUG THE UNIT. Turn off the water, remove the screws holding it on and pull it out where you can work with it. If you look where the plastic lines go into the valve you will see a white or yellow ring. Press that down in toward the valve while pressing the line in at the same time. Then pull the line out while holding the ring down. Simply push the line in the new valve and give it a light tug to be sure its seated.

Once you get all the water lines changed pull a wire connector off the old valve and push it on the new. Do that one at a time so you do not get them mixed up. Thats it. Plug up the unit and turn everything on and it will all start automatically.

Lastly save this page to your favorites so you can return. If something happens please return and give me a shout. I may not be immediately available but I always do answer any questions.

If you have further questions please ask.
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE

graphic
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
I left something out. Once you get the meter inserted and set it above 120 volts AC and then plug the refrigerator in. Have someone press the dispenser while you watch the meter. If that meter goes up over 100 the inlet valve is bad.

Barry
Barry G.
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician