Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a side by side model # XXXXX and the ice maker

Customer Question
is not working. When I...
I have a side by side model # XXXXX and the ice maker is not working. When I press on the lever the infared light continues to blink.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/18/2011
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

are you saying when you press the flap on the other side of the blinking light it continues to blink?

Yes
Okay this means the emitter / receiver is bad,you will need to replace, you can order this at the following link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Ice-Level-Control-Board/921526 before ordering this though try unplugging the refrigerator for 5 min. and plug it back in, if it resets and when you pushed the flap in stays solid red then you will need to replace it, if not you will need to replace emitter / receiver, I truly hope it resets, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Okay, will unplug now. But let me understand your comment. Are you saying that if I unplug it and plug it back in and the red light stops blinking when I press the lever that I DO need to replace the emitter or that I DO NOT need to replace it?
if you plug it back in and then press the flap in and it still blinks you need to replace it. it should stay on steady if its working correctly.
Okay, plugged it back in. Now it is not blinking or solid, nothing. Does it need to cycle thru?
so when you open the freezer door it not blinking at all now? have you shut the door and re opened it?
Correct, it was not doing anything. But now it is back to blinking all the time. So I guess the emitter is bad? Can I order the part thru Whirlpool? Is there a price difference?
Well you can order the parts whirlpool if you wish I'm not sure what they're getting for it, the part number is,
4389102, you can Google it and find the best price, but it definitely needs to be replaced, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician