Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My GE Profile refrigerator is not keeping the temp settings.

Customer Question
My GE Profile refrigerator is...

My GE Profile refrigerator is not keeping the temp settings. The freezer is now set at 38 degrees. I change it to 0, hold the button for 3 seconds to set. It says 0, then immediately goes back to 38. Not sure what I am doing wrong or if something needs fixing? Model PTS22SCSARSS

Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Appliance
5/13/2011
Appliance Technician: Anytime John, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 years ago
Anytime John
Anytime John, Home Appliance Technician

The button on the far left that says to hold for 3 seconds is to lock and unlock the control. You do not have to hold anything to set the temperature. The default display is the actual temperature, and then when you press the "Colder" or "Warmer" buttons, the display shows the temperature you are setting it to - the light next to the word "Set" also lights up while you are doing this to let you know the difference.
So, is the display saying that the actual temperature in the freezer is 38 degrees? Are things in the freezer staying frozen?

Anytime John
Anytime John, Home Appliance Technician

It says 38 degrees for freezer and 41 for fridge. I have used the set buttons correctly and after I change to 0 and 37 (recommended settings). It will stay there for a few seconds then go back to 38 and 41. All of the items in the freezer are thawed.

OK, then the problem is not the control. There is another failure if your freezer is not freezing. I will need to know what is running, and what is not running. Is the fan inside of the freezer running? Is the compressor, and the fan next to the compressor (lower back part of the unit) running?