Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a new Whirlpool Washing Machine that the l;ocking lid

I have a new Whirlpool Washing Machine that the l;ocking lid as a safety feature. The lid will not lock, therefore the machine will not work. Please help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 6 years ago.
Hi, my name is Chas, I am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

Thank you for using JustAnswer's for your appliance questions, Myself and all the other experts are anxious to help you with your problem today. If you will please explain your problem and the model and serial number we can get started...

THe complete model number can be found inside the lid area of the machine.

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am getting that information for you
Expert:  Chas replied 6 years ago.
Thank You
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is a Kenmore. Model 21102010, Serial number C04034862. It is the type that you put the close in first, close thge lid and turn it on. When it is turned on the lid locks and the water starts to fill. If the lid is not locked the water will not fill. A green light comes on for filling and a red light to show the lid is locked.
Expert:  Chas replied 6 years ago.
What happens when you try to start it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The red and greenj lights come on but the red light just clicks and does not lock the lid.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

your lid lock/latch is bad, its part # XXXXX on the diagram, inside you machine there s also a service tech sheet yopu can reference for the green and red light , there should be a code meaning on the sheet, these lock assembly's fail all the time owever, you will need to replace it, heres a link to the part, http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/pa rt-number/Kenmore-Parts/Washer-Parts/W10238287/0026/110/Model-11021102010/0582/0153200?keySuffixId=NA&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=11021102010&subCompDesc=Top%20and%20cabinet%20parts&brandDesc=KENMORE&modelDesc=AUTOMATIC-WASHER&blt=11 and heres he diagram, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there a way to override the lock feature so the machine will operate, Bryan?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I dont know of a way to bypass this type of lock assembly, sorry, you will need to replace it, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.