applianceguy
applianceguy, Customer Service
Experience:  Ten Years experience. Certified in most major brands Including Whirlpool Frigidaire maytag Amana.
9557001

I have a Kenmore model#110 62942100 electric clothes dryer.

I have a Kenmore model#110 62942100 electric clothes dryer. It quit heating, and I checked the element, thermal fuse, and the high limit thermostat. The HL thermostat was bad and I replaced it. Turned the dryer on and the element heated up for a minute or so and then shut off. The HL thermostat went out again. What will cause this to happen?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  applianceguy replied 6 years ago.

applianceguy :

Hi did you check to see if your vent is clean?

Customer:

I vacuumed the flex hose out and the piping as far as I could get inside the wall, it was'nt very dirty. The vent goes straight up through the roof and I did'nt go on roof and clean out or check from there.

applianceguy :

That can be a problem venting straighjt up like that. It is hard to tell if it is pluged up high and the longer the run the harder it makes the dryer work. Can you jump out the high limit ans check temp at the back of the dryer?

Customer:

Will do and get back with you

applianceguy :

Ok.And are you sure it is the high limit that went bad? The thermal fuse will normally go before the high limit.

Customer:

Not sure, replaced both of these because they came as a pair when I bought the new ones, and the same one that was originally bad went out the second time

applianceguy :

I would bet it is the thermal fuse that went out, They give you the high limit because that is what normally takes out the thermal fuse.

applianceguy :

Jump out the thermal fuse and see if it heats.

applianceguy :

Then see what temps it cycles on.

applianceguy :

Tell me your high temp, where it shuts off. Then tell me what temp the heat comes back on.

Customer:

OK

applianceguy :

Let me know.

Customer:

It heats, on about 130 and cuts off about 145

applianceguy :

Was the thermal fuse blown?

applianceguy :

Sorry about the delay, i did not see your post.

applianceguy :

You tested with the vent off right?

Customer:

I dont know which one is thermal fuse or high limit. The one that had no continuity I jumpered out, and no the vent was hooked up and the thermometer I stuck into the vent piping

applianceguy :

The thermal fuse is on the back of the blower housing. The high limit is near the heating element.

Customer:

Then the thermal fuse is blown

applianceguy :

145 degrees should not be hot enough to trip the thermal fuse.

applianceguy :

I would replace the thermal fuse and run the dryer with the vent off. If the dryer works good, get someone to clean out the vent.

Customer:

OK, so youre thinking the vent is stopped up and that is causing overheating in turn blowing the thermal fuse, or the new thermal fuse that I just installed and went out was possibly already faulty?

applianceguy :

Yes. The temp you are getting is just not hot enough to cause this problem.

applianceguy :

Any more questions? i am going offline soon.