Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

I have an 11 year old GE Profile stove top - all of the electric

I have an 11 year old GE Profile stove top - all of the electric lighters are sparking (around 20 45 seconds between) when all is off. I've tried cleaning the diffuser (receptacle that catches the spark?), but makes no difference.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today. Did this happen after spilling something on the cook top or cleaning the cook top?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
After cleaning the top, but has continued for a week.
Ok you have a bad spark switch. You will have to remove the top in order to get access to the switches. Then disconnect one switch at a time until the clicking stops. Then you will know what switch to replace.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is all four that spark. I sit reasonable that one bad one affects all four?
All for always spark when you turn on 1 burner. The only burner that lites is the one you turned the gas onto.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
final calrification before I click "accept answer" - one bad switch CAN affect all four burners, making them spark?
yes it does.