Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

The Frige part of my Whrilpool refrigerator is not cooling

Customer Question
below 60 deegrees, the freezer...
The Frige part of my Whrilpool refrigerator is not cooling below 60 deegrees, the freezer is down to 10 deegrees. New unit bought in March 2011.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
5/1/2011
Appliance Technician: Barry G., Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Look at the rear wall of the freezer inside. Can you find a cold spot on that wall? Is that spot frosty? Around behind the unit there is a fan, could you verify that fan is operating? Also touch the compressor back there ( looks like a black ball ) Is that cold, warm or hot and is the compressor vibrating. Please take your time and be safe I will be here all day.

Let me know,
Barry
Cold frosty area on freezer back wall, fan is running in back. To check compressor I must remove back panel. I don't want to do this at this time. I suspect coil is frosted up and blocking are flow.
You are correct. If you can see frost on the outside its going to be clogged behind that. You will need to remove that panel with the frost on it and defrost the coils behind that. You can do that with a hair dryer or unplug it and leave it open about 6 hours.

I am not having any luck getting diagrams up for the model you have posted up there. When you get a chance could you look in the fresh food section and post the model again. There is a sticker in there on the wall with the model on it. I need to see if you have a mechanical timer or a electronic timer. Also do you have an ohm meter?

Barry
ED5VHEXV804, Yes I have a Ohmmeter
Electronic timer. Thank you.

If you will remove the panel arrowed below the coils will be behind that panel. Once you get the coils defrosted, attached to the coils will be a heater. UNPLUG the refrigerator and disconnect the heater. Set the meter to ohms and if you get a reading the heater is good. The board is bad.

Let me know what you find. Also if you call for a warranty repair tell no one you turned a screw on this thing. But once you get the heater checked you will know which part is bad. The control board is arrowed in the diagram below.

This will get it going for about 10 days. Then it will need defrosted again. If you have questions please ask me, or if you intend to make the repair yourself let me know.

The board is what I expect you to find bad and that is located in the fresh food section in the control panel where the temperatures are adjusted.

Barry?
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic

graphic
Removed panel and melted frost, 23.3 ohms on the heater, replaced panel, energized unit. It started backup, but still does not seem as if a lot of cool air is flowing. The freezer is now calling so that maybe why. Thanks for the help
It will take a few hours to be cool in the freezer and several hours after that for the refrigerator. There is not a great deal of air that blows. If you can feel it and the coils were clogged it will cool.

You are welcome,
Barry
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Barry G.
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician