Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

How to replace a control board on Amana ABB2224DEW fridge

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
4/27/2011
Appliance Technician: Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician

Slide the light cover off. Look up at the back of the part that drops down. There is two slots for a flat head to fit in. Use the flat head and push the clips in, the control assembly will rotate down.

You can also remove entire assembly. Place a screw driver around the edge pop the clips out slowly.

Let me know
I will try now. Can I replace the control board when the fridge is plugged in the power socket?
No, unplug the refrigerator before you attempt to service it.
OK let me try and get back to you.
Ok, post back
No luck. The clips from the sides in the middle of the unit came out. But the front and back of the unit are still stuck. In the back part, there is a plastic thing jutting out that holds the light cover. That is stuck to the fridge. Do you have a diagram? Its hard to understand without that.
Yes,

Do you see the clips on number 4 click here
I saw this figure earlier. This figure is not the right one. In the fridge I have, #1 is on the opposite side of where it is shown in the figure. And #2 cutout for bulb unit is close to #4.

Also, I don't see any clips for #4. Let me try again. Problem is I don't want to force damage the unit. Then its a bigger headache.
Yes that entire plastic cut out will come down. All these are the sa,e control housing. Number 4 has those clips tucked up inside you need to use the flat head screw driver like stated earlier friend.
Yes I tried that with the flathead screwdriver but where does one insert the flathead. I inserted and twisted in all the slots I could see but there is no effect. Do you have the exact diagram where I should insert the flathead and in which direction to push or twist?
That is th best diagram that I have. It's hard to explain.. One the back side where the cover butts up against the plastic housing there are two slots you have to push the screw driver up pretty hard to get the clips to pop off to release the control.
OK let me try the last time and get back to you. Else I just give up.
Ok you can do it.

Let me know
Ok so here is what I did. I just could not figure it out so I force popped the whole unit from the fridge. Then I got to see the notches where the flat head should be pushed into.

Here are the steps what you should be telling people next time:

1) Power off the fridge

2) Take a flat head screw driver

3) The unit has a display panel. On the opposite end of the display panel. locate 2 rectangular holes.

4) Orient your flathead screwdriver parallel to the roof of the fridge

5) Move the flathead screwdriver into the slot and push inward. So if you are facing the display panel, the handle of the screwdriver is away from you and the flathead is moving towards your face inwards

6) Hold the display with one hand while pushing in with the other. You should hear a pop and the unit will snap downwards after you push through both the slots.

7) The control board is clipped to the white casing. Remove the 2 set of cables attached to the control board. Remember that the last cable on both the clips is a white cable.

8) The control board comes in 2 parts attached to each other. Once the unit is in the hand, remove the vertical part of the control board by releasing the clip on the side.

9) Then release the clip on the bottom board. Place the new control board and push in the clips gently

10) Attach the cables to the pins on the control board

11) Snap back the display panel into the fridge

12) With your new control board packaging, you should have received an instruction sheet. Follow the steps to set the programming mode on the fridge.

Good luck !!!
Dang good job friend. Glad you got it installed. I will save your post here, thanks a million.
One step I missed. Please add to the list.

9.5) When placing the vertical part of the control board, make sure the 2 LCD displays (look like light brown square blocks) are placed in the cutout square holes on the display panel. Otherwise you will not see any display.

--------------

I went ahead and released your payment also. Have a good night !!!
Thanks you do the same friend!
Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic