Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a W10140920 Whirlpool top loader wash machine. At the…

Customer Question
I have a W10140920 Whirlpool...
I have a W10140920 Whirlpool top loader wash machine. At the end of the spin cycle the washer releases water in the basin leaving the clothes wet. Also the washer begins agitating the clothes at the beginning of the wash cycle before releasing any water into the basin. The cycle just seems to be off altogether.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
4/17/2011
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 6 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Does the tub eventually fill up with water during the wash cycle?

Yes it does

ok, can I get the complete model number? The number you listed is a part number. The model number is ***** a sticker below the lid near the hinge on a sticker.
WTW57ESBW0
ok perfect. This sounds like your water temperature switch is actually faulty. It's an automated control board on this switch that actually controls a lot more than the water temperature. Below is a link to the switch you'll need to order and replace to fix the issue.

CLICK HERE

The website you directed me to is for Model # WTW57ESBW1. I called Sears Parts Direct (1-XXX-XXX-XXXX) and asked if this part, Switch Sensor W10248240, would be good for my model # which is WTW57ESBW0. They told me the part number W10248240 doesn't exist and for a temp switch I need part number W10179666. They were unable to even locate the part you directed me to much less order it. ??

I'm not sure to be honest, that is just the part that came up when I looked the part up, but if the parts store says you need a different number, order the part they direct you to. That is what they do for a living, I'm just a technician and solve problems.
ok.. I'll order the temp switch W10179666 - any helpful information on how I access the switch and replace it with the new one?
Just pull the knob off and remove the control panel. Unplug the unit first and replace the switch.

Ok - I can access the temperature control. I was reviewing the whirlpool parts diagram and I see the temperature control part is associated with the "temperature" knob and the switch sensor part ( you gave me the a link to buy the "sensor switch") which is for the fabric softener knob. Looking at the whirlpool parts diagrams it seems that if I am having a problem with the timing of the cycle being off, the problem would lie with the timer (the part associated with the cycle switch). Why would I want to replace the fabric softener or the temperature switch? Thank you for the help.

The sensor switch is the part that you need, as I stated before, it does a lot more than just sense the temperature, it tells the timer how to run. The timer is NOT going to be your problem. I really can't explain why every OTHER part isn't the problem, I already linked you the part that is the problem so either replace it, or call a technician and he can replace it for you.

Please read your response above at 4:01pm - you told me the temperature switch was faulty and you sent me a link for a switch sensor. After Sears telling me the part you linked me to doesn't exist I told you I found and would order a temp sensor. Now at 9:47pm you tell me the sensor switch is the part I need? According to whirlpool these are two separate parts. Which one is it?

They aren't 2 separate parts.
The temperature switch is part # W10179666 and sells for $19.93. The sensor switch is part #W10177795 and sells for $50.30. I don't understand how these are not two separate parts.
The sensor switch is what regulates the temperature. The "temperature switch" as you're calling it just selects the temperature.

Replace the more expensive part

Have a nice day.

According to Sears PartsDirect my Whirlpool washer has a "Temperature switch" and a "Sensor switch." (They are two different switches). Now I will order the sensor switch too.

Have a nice day.

ok, well I did state you needed the automated temperature switch with the control board. Sorry for the confusion for the name but every website will call the parts differently.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc