Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a new Roper washer, Model RTW4440XQ. The water level

I have a new Roper...
I have a new Roper washer, Model RTW4440XQ. The water level in the rinse cycle is much too low, even when the water level is set on "high." It is half or less than the water level during the wash cycle. What should I do?
4/3/2011
Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Hi....Bob here... I see you are having a problem with your washer..If the washer is less than 1 year old..You can have it repaired at no cost under the warranty...If you try to fix it..You will void the warranty...The problem is the water level pressure switch...he switch is activated by the water pressure in the tub..There is a clear plastic hose which runs from the tub to the switch...When the water fills it creates pressure in the hose then activates the switch..
If the water level pressure switch is bad, wouldn't the wash cycle water level be too low also? I only notice that the rinse cycle water level is much too low--less than half the level of the water during the wash cycle.
If the washer fills to level...Then no your problem would not be with the water level switch..Your problem is blockage in the water inlet valve...You can tell this by watching the water fill into the tub..Most likely the water is filling slower than when you first fill the washer...Remove the hoses at the back..Clean out the screens in the water supply hose at back...If the screens are clear..Then your water inlet valve is faulty.
The old washer had no problems filling for any cycle, and the inlet valve is the same one used with that washer. The water supply hose and screens are also the same ones used with the old washer. This makes me doubt that either of these is the problem, since the fill level was fine on all cycles on the old washer. I just had the old washer disconnected due to a broken motor and the new one hooked up. Therefore, I don't think the problem is with the components used with the old machine.
If so then the new machines water valve is faulty..Does the water fill as normal if you open the lid whiles its filling..?
I am in my office and not at home, so I cannot test to see if the washer fills normally if I open the lid. I will do that when I get home and email you the results then.
Like i said if its under 1 year old..Then you can have it fixed or replaced under warranty at no cost...Also please do not forget to use the accept option before leaving today for my time helping you...Thanks Bob
Please accept my answer or let me know if you have any further questions..Thanks Bob
As I said above, I have to go home to test whether the machine fills properly if I open the lid. I am leaving my office in about 30 minutes and will try it out then, and let you know what I find.
Ok please let us know...Thanks Bob

I put the machine on the wash cycle and it did fill with the lid open.

Should I see if it will fill for the rinse cycle with the lid open?

Yes...You want to see if it is filling with the same amount of force as filling at the start of the wash.

On the rinse cycle, the water did fill with the lid open, with the same force--but it stopped at a very low level. And the shirt I had put in to test it was turned inside out by the violent force of the agitation with so little water in the machine.

But the water is filling correct...If so..Then there really is not anything wrong with the washer..As the rinse is not going to fill at the same level as the wash cycle.
If this is the way this washer is supposed to work, I can't keep it. I put in very few clothes, and I am a small person, and the water level is simply too low. Is this grounds to return the washer and exchange it for another one?
How old is the unit..?
Lets try this...Drain the washer..Set the timer to rinse....Set the water level to high..Tell me how far up the water ends up in the tub...Do this with no clothes in the tub.

I got it today, and it was sold to me as new by Lowe's--so one day old as far as I am concerned.

I just did your experiment. I used a ruler to measure when the rinse cycle stopped filling. The water level on high is only 6 inches from the bottom of the tub.

Ok then that is not right...It would be for a commercial machine..The water levels are pre set..If you have goos water pressure..You either have a faulty water level switch..Or a faulty timer...I would not mess with it...take it back...You might have some major problem down the road...I would not even let them try to fix it..You want new..Thanks Bob
Bob L Your  Appl Pal

Thanks, Bob. That is what I will do. I will call or go over to Lowe's tomorrow and tell them the washer is defective and that I want to exchange it. I appreciate your hanging in with me all these hours and answering my series of questions!

No problem at all...Like i said..Do not let them talk you into fixing..This is a good basic washer..It would be your best move to take it back...Ive met some pretty depressed people who knew that there washer or dryer had a problem from the beginning..Didn't want to go through the hassle of taking it back..Later finding out they need replacement or major repair down..Good luck to you..Thanks Bob
Actually...After looking over the tech sheet on this washer..On the newer models the rinse cycle is not settable..So the way the washer is working is correct..
That is awful. Thank you for the information. I am still going to tell Lowe's I want to return the washer because the rinse water level is too low to be safe for the clothing, and I am not convinced it gets them rinsed properly. I appreciate your looking this up.
Sorry about that...I was looking this over after our replys..The washers are being built for energy savings supposedly..I like you would rather have the water level the same as the older units...Basically the water level is preset...Thanks Bob
Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your  Appl Pal