Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My upright freezer is not working correctly. Items on the bottom

Customer Question
are frozen with ones on...
My upright freezer is not working correctly. Items on the bottom are frozen with ones on top not. Not sure whats going on. Dial is on 7, and everything "appears" to be working. Thoughts?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/3/2011
Appliance Technician: Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician

Do you have a thermometer you can place inside to get a accurate temp reading? You could have one of several problems.

Let me know
Going to have to track down a thermometer that'll work in a freezer. You just need a current temp?
If you don't have one it's ok. Do you hear the fan running inside the freezer?

We may need to remove the back panel, are you capable of doing that? We need to inspect the evaporator coils and look at the frost pattern.

Let me know
I sure can. Give me a couple of minutes.
Ok, let me know if the frost is all packed in the top corner or if the evaporator has a 1/6 frost pattern from top to bottom?

The back panel has four screws that hold it in place.

Let me know
Okay. This one just has a small back panel, about 9 inches tall, on the bottom, that is now off. I do not see any coils, just a black cannister with some wires and a some copper pipe that's been cut and crimped. Is there a way to send you a photo?
We need to remove the back panel inside the freezer section. The big metal panel it has four screws in corner that mount it to the back of the freezer. The racks need to come out in order for the panel to be removed.
Think I just found the problem. Going to completely remove the inside panel right now, but the vent at the bottom of the inside panel is completely obstructed with ice. What would make a "frost free" freezer do that? Have been gone for a year, and this is one of my welcome home projects. (:
The defrost drain line is blocked. Under the coils there is a small hole. When the auto defrost feature comes on the frost melts and goes down the hole to evaporate next to the warmth of the compressor. When the hole becomes frozen over the air flow is stopped. Chip the ice away and pour hot water down the hole until it's clear.

Let me know
Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic