How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bryan Your Own Question
Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 12156
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Bryan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a ge convection oven, model jvm 1790 . The magnetron

Customer Question

I have a ge convection oven, model jvm 1790 . The magnetron appeared to get very hot. I replaced the fan that was damaged from the heat of the magnetron, the magnetron itself, and both of the upper thermostats.

I plugged the oven in with the covers off to make sure all was ok before putting it back together and hanging it back on the wall. I immediately hear loud humming and notice smoke coming off the brand new magnetron. The oven or microwave was not even being used. I unplug the cord and feel the magnetron with my hand. I could hold it on the part for a few seconds so it did not get terribly hot so I'm hoping it's not fried.

Now for the question.

What is causing the magnetron to get hot?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

 

your high voltage transformer is bad. let me look up the part and i will be back shortly, thanks Bryan

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
The part number for the transformer is, WB17X10022 and it's part number 1433 on this diagram, you may also have a damaged capacitor because of this problem, but the transformer is definitely the problem, that's what makes a loud buzzing noise, then it fries the magnetron, it will need to be replaced and you'll probably need to replace the high-voltage capacitor and possibly high voltage diode, you may just want buy a new machine at this point, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Any way to test these parts to see if they are bad. The first guy I talked to last week only led me to believe it was the magnetron so I'm already into this for $150. I'd hate to flush that away if I could test these suspected parts and spend just a little more.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I don't see your question from last week but you cannot test the transformer, this is extremely high voltage and you can't just put a meter on it, it will blow the meter up immediately, I'm sorry but unfortunately if the magnetron you had enough before fried the same way the new one did there's no other cause for this but the transformer, microwaves are a very dangerous thing to work on to begin with so it's best to either call a technician in or replace it, the first guy the talk to you last week was probably also correct the magnetron was fried but we can't tell if putting a new one and it's gonna happen again unfortunately, I usually when I speak to people about microwaves especially high-voltage side recommend they don't work on them at all, five people on average every year die attempting to repair their microwaves, the high-voltage capacitor can hold enough voltage even when unplugged to kill you, I hate to see you flush away hundred a $150 also but I'm sure the new magnetron is fried again and it's caused by the transformer, thanks, Bryan
Bryan and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm disappointed that the first guy spoon fed me info and didn't let me know that the magnetron was not the cause of the problem and was simply a casualty of the transformer. I feel misled. I would have gladly bought the transformer in addition to the magnetron.

Not your problem but that last guy owes me a magnetron. Thanks.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I'm very sorry about that, well wishes and thank you, Bryan