Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Refrigerator is not cold enough and freezer is getting melt. Cold

Customer Question
Refrigerator is not cold enough...
Refrigerator is not cold enough and freezer is getting melt.

Cold air comes out from ventilation at the back.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2011
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

This model number is XXXXX coming up can you open the refrigerator door and look either on one of the side walls or on the ceiling for a white or silver tag with the full model number on it? Thanks, Bryan

Model: MSD2641KEB
Okay great give me a few minutes to look this up, in the meantime have you heard any clicking or buzzing noises coming from the back of the refrigerator near the compressor if you pull a refrigerator away from the wall? Also inside the freezer behind your food can you tell me if there is any Frost at all on the back panel in the freezer? And is the fan inside the freezer running?

Hi Brian,

We saw in the back but no click or buzz sound at all and it seems compressor is normal and freezer has no frost inside but little melting condition.

Freezer sound is running but we do not know the fan is working.

Soo Lee

Okay so when you open the freezer door you can hear a fan running in there? It should be pretty loud you should be able to hear it, also have you taken the back off with the compressor is down at the bottom when you pull a refrigerator away from the wall? I would like you to do that and feel the compressor(round black ball) is it vibrating? Is it warm, hot, or cold? Also there is a fan next to the compressor is that running? Sorry for all the questions but we need to eliminate some things before going any further, thanks, Bryan

It's not pretty loud when I opened freezer

I am not sure about round black ball that we can't see but there is a fan from bottom of the back is cool air vibrating.

We just opened the back and round ball is hot
on the back there is a cover over the compressor and the fan, you will need to remove that cover to feel the compressor, it's real important we know what it is doing, the fan cools the compressor but that doesn't mean the compressor is running we need to feel the compressor and see if it is vibrating and how hot or cold it is, there are usually 1/4" screws holding this cover on if you can get those out and remove the cover you will see the compressor then, do you think you can do that? Okay I received your reply after I wrote all that, so the compressor is hot, doesn't seem to be vibrating?
We did it open in back now and black round ball is hot
Okay, here comes the fun part then, you are going to need to remove all the food in the freezer and the shelves and remove the back panel inside the freezer behind with the food is, we need to check the Frost pattern on the coils themselves, this is inside the freezer not in the back of the refrigerator with the ball is, we need to see if you have a Freon problem by looking at the coils we can tell, you will need to remove panel number 19 on this diagram, there are five screws holding it on,when you get it off you will see the silver coils which are the evaporator coils, tell me what the Frost looks like on them, is there a lot of Frost? Does it cover all the coils? Or is there just a few coils frosted,? This should only be a light coating of Frost on all the coils but not a real lot, let me know when you can get a look at that, thanks
Color is not silver but look to close copper color coil is not frost at all but cool condition
Are you looking at these behind the panel inside the freezer?,

No not look like at all.

it's very simple some wires and copper coil and black roud ball is major occupied.

4 coils come out from compressor.

NO what I need you to do is take your food out of the freezer and all the shelves in behind with the food was there is a white panel inside the freezer number 19 on the diagram above, what I'm trying to say is the panel I'm talking about is( inside) the freezer

Ask an Appliance Question, Get an Answer ASAP! Refrigerator is not cold enough and freezer is getting melt. Cold Status: Awaiting Expert Reply
Value: $24
SMS Text Alerts

Asked by you on Saturday, April 02, 2011 8:38 AM EST

Optional Information:
Make: Maytag
Model: M931-PEX ICE LINE

Already Tried:
Changed to low temperature from normal knob.

Your Expert needs more information
From BryanSaturday, April 02, 2011 8:40 AM EST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember I don't get paid unless you press the green accept button. Please remember to accept if I've helped.

Bonuses and feedback are greatly appreciated.
You repliedSaturday, April 02, 2011 8:47 AM EST
Model: MSD2641KEB Expert
Your Expert needs more information
From BryanSaturday, April 02, 2011 8:50 AM EST

You repliedSaturday, April 02, 2011 8:57 AM EST
Hi Brian,

Soo Lee

Your Expert needs more information
From BryanSaturday, April 02, 2011 9:04 AM EST

You repliedSaturday, April 02, 2011 9:12 AM EST

You repliedSaturday, April 02, 2011 9:14 AM EST
We just opened the back and round ball is hot Expert
Your Expert needs more information
From BryanSaturday, April 02, 2011 9:15 AM EST
on the back there is a cover over the compressor and the fan, you will need to remove that cover to feel the compressor, it's real important we know what it is doing, the fan cools the compressor but that doesn't mean the compressor is running we need to feel the compressor and see if it is vibrating and how hot or cold it is, there are usually 1/4" screws holding this cover on if you can get those out and remove the cover you will see the compressor then, do you think you can do that? Okay I received your reply after I wrote all that, so the compressor is hot, doesn't seem to be vibrating? You repliedSaturday, April 02, 2011 9:18 AM EST
We did it open in back now and black round ball is hot Expert
Your Expert needs more information
From BryanSaturday, April 02, 2011 9:22 AM EST
Okay, here comes the fun part then, you are going to need to remove all the food in the freezer and the shelves and remove the back panel inside the freezer behind with the food is, we need to check the Frost pattern on the coils themselves, this is inside the freezer not in the back of the refrigerator with the ball is, we need to see if you have a Freon problem by looking at the coils we can tell, you will need to remove panel number 19 on this diagram, there are five screws holding it on,
View Full Image
when you get it off you will see the silver coils which are the evaporator coils, tell me what the Frost looks like on them, is there a lot of Frost? Does it cover all the coils? Or is there just a few coils frosted,? This should only be a light coating of Frost on all the coils but not a real lot, let me know when you can get a look at that, thanks

You repliedSaturday, April 02, 2011 9:28 AM EST
Color is not silver but look to close copper color coil is not frost at all but cool condition Expert
Your Expert needs more information
From BryanSaturday, April 02, 2011 9:31 AM EST
View Full Image

You repliedSaturday, April 02, 2011 9:35 AM EST
No not look like at all.

4 coils come out from compressor.
I don't know what happened there but I just got a whole question and answer replies all-in-one big long reply, did you get my last information about the coils be in inside the freezer not in the back?
I just replies while you are sending me an e-mail.
Again, inside panel at freezer has no frost on silver coil.

Okay that's not good if you have no Frost on the coils at all, this means your either out of Freon which means a leak or the compressor is gone even though it's hot doesn't mean it's running correctly, there is no easy fix for this however, if you don't hear any clicking or buzzing coming from the compressor about every 5 min. or so then I don't think it's gonna be the relay on it, you can try replacing the relay and see if that takes care of it the way to find out is to change it, if you can you can remove the relay and shake it and if it rattles it's bad, this is the relay, this is located on the side of the black ball and is what starts the compressor, it just plugs on so if you unplug the refrigerator and take a small screwdriver and pry this off you can then shake it and see if it rattles, if it rattles inside its definitely bad, but even if it doesn't rattle it can be faulty, I would replace this and see if the refrigerator runs correctly then, you can order this at the following blue link, just click on this blue link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Start-Device/1159182?modelNumber=MSD2641KEB thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

My last question is where is the relay?

Is it inside of black ball?

Would you answer my last question? Where is the relay?

It's on the side of the compressor(black ball) it will be on the left side looking from the back of the refrigerator, it plugs onto the side of the compressor, there is a black cover over it on some of these compressors, here is a picture to show you, you can see on the left side a black plastic piece, that's where is located, you will see wires going to it usually red and blue I'm not sure on yours some red and white or blue-and-white, at any rate here's the picture of the compressor,

Maytag has had a lot of problems with their relays, yours may look different so you need to make sure you get the correct one, when you get the old one off there will be numbers on it check the number, the part number for the relay is, 67005560 thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician