Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience
14207197

I have a Whirlpool he Frontloader washing machine and it started

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool he Frontloader washing machine and it started to make a clunking sound when on the spin cycle and sometimes it smells like a slight burning smell. It still works fine but something is not right. I took top and back of and there is no signs of anything loose that I can tell. The tub seems tight and when I spin it on my own, it doesn't make the clunking sound.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 6 years ago.
Hi welcome to just answer my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be helping you today with your problem.
That sound usually means the inner tub support has broke. This means the inner tub needs to be replaced.

If this has been helpful please press accept.Smile
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Even thought it doesn't make the clunking sound when spinning manually?
Yes it only happens in the high spin. Spinning it by hand does not create enough force.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it an easy fix that I can do or is it something complicated to where i will need a technician to do it?
You need to remove the entire drum from the machine. Then the two half's of the outer tub need to be separated then the inner tub can be accessed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm guessing it probably is better to just buy a new washer since a new tub is probably not cheap?
If you open the door and send the model # I can give you a price. But generally they are around 250 dollars.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
WFW8500SR01
You can order it from www.appliancepartspro.com it lists at 170 dollars.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok. Thank you. One last question, I know you can't be 100% without being here, but are you fairly sure before I order and spend the money that is it. I was just thinking bearings or motor. Just asking your expert opinion.
From your description that is the problem.