Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Maytag Front Load Dryer not heating.

Customer Question
I have a Maytag Front...

I have a Maytag Front Load Dryer that runs but no heat. (Model MED9600SQ0) What is my problem and can I fix it myself?

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
3/28/2011
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

The very first thing to check is that the breaker has not tripped. It is possible to lose one side of the 240 VAC required to run the heating element and have everything but the heater work. So, flip the breaker to the off position then back on, even if it looks okay. I will look up your dryer and await your reply after doing this.

will do

If you still have no heat, remove the lower front panel to access the heater and thermal fuses. There are three 1/4" screws along the bottom of the panel. Next, locate the thermal fuse, number 47 in the picture. It is mounted on the LH side of the heater and is the farthest thermostat from the front. WITH THE DRYER UNPLUGGED, remove those wires and tape them securely together. Make sure they are taped up well to prevent shorting. Plug the dryer back in and see if it heats then. You may skip this step if you have a meter to test for continuity.

I unplugged and taped together. Plugged dryer back in and ran fro 5 minutes. Still no heat. Element Bad?
Probably the element is open. You can remove it by taking out the 1/4" screw near the front of the element housing can, unhook the two wires that feed the element and pull it out. A break should be pretty easy to find. BE SURE TO UNPLG THE DRYER FIRST! The least expensive place to get the element is HERE for $34.50.
Pulled it out and the housing has several small cracks and one large crack across the center. The coils look ok.
A break can be difficult to find sometimes. Look closely at the coils and gently move them to expose a break. With the support having the cracks, that suggests higher than normal heat, like perhaps an obstructed vent. You say you checked the vent line so you may have corrected that. Do you have a meter to test for continuity?
Just check it closer. Coil is broke in half on the bottom side.
Bingo! Great job! Follow that link to the new element and you will be back in the dryer business. Be sure to check the air flow to the outside of the house, too. Make sure the dryer is not pushed back so far as to crush the vent line. Nice work!
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Thanks for your help. Great job.
Thank you very much! Glad we were able to get to the bottom of it.
Kelly, Appliance Technician