Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Hi, i have a GE refrigerator model number PCP 23SHMFFBS. Over

Customer Question
Hi, i have a GE...
Hi, i have a GE refrigerator model number PCP 23SHMFFBS. Over the past couple of days the temperature has risen in the freezer to 3 degrees and the refigerator to 12 degrees, which has caused all of the food to defrost and is ruined. The motors are still working and keeping the freezer at 3 degrees, but i cannot work out how to adjust the temperature to go down to its usual levels. i have tried a number of things, but nothing seems to work. i have checked toensure the doors are prperly closed.

Can you assist?

thanks Greg McKenzie
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
3/14/2011
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Can you remove the food in the freezer and check the back panel inside the freezer behind the food, and tell me if there is any Frost whatsoever on this panel, scratch fingernails down it to see, let me know, thanks, Bryan

Hi Bryan, yes there is frost on this panel.
Okay great, now we know what the problem is, your refrigerator is not defrosting so the temperature rises because the air cannot circulate through the system correctly, the biggest cause for this problem is the defrost heater has failed, GE had to redesign the heater's and this refrigerator because of failure, they went from a single heater to a dual heater which doesn't burn out, we do hundreds of these a year have you ever had the heater replaced in yours? Also do you have a voltmeter and know how to check continuity?
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
no i dont
Okay no matter, I pretty much guarantee the heater is gone, everyone of these has had to be replaced in all these refrigerators, the first thing you will need to do is remove the back panel inside the freezer, you need to take you shelves out and get a 1/4" nut driver or possibly yours has Phillips head screws, on the panel, remove those and pull the panel out, the panel is number 213 on this diagram,
View Full Image
once the panel is removed you need to take a hairdryer and completely defrost the coils, you got a find them really full of Frost and what this does is restricts the airflow, we need to get rid of all of the Frost on these coils, at the bottom of the coils will be the heater number 230 on the diagram, this is usually held in by to Phillips head screws it has two wires going to it one on each side, make sure the refrigerator is unplugged before servicing, remove the heater you'll probably find a all black the glass tube, this will be the problem you will need to order and replace the heater, the heater runs $56.70, you can order one at this blue link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Heating-Element/914080?modelNumber=PCP23SHMFFBS if you have a local appliance warehouse nearby you can bring it to them and they can test it, most likely know have the new one since everybody carries these now, this heater it will need to be replaced, when you are done defrosting this totally put the back panel back in unplug the refrigerator in so it can start to cool again in case you need to order this online, if you do need to order this online the refrigerator will cool down again and running correctly for about 2 to 3 weeks before it Frost up again totally so this'll give you plenty of time to get the new heater, hope this helps, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician