Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a LG refrigerator model no. LFX25960ST that stopped

working. All my meats in...
I have a LG refrigerator model no. LFX25960ST that stopped working. All my meats in the freezer defrosted and the upper fridge is also warmed. I can hear noises as if it's working but it's not getting cold. Please help.
3/10/2011
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

What kind of noises are you hearing? Are the fans running? Is there clicking or a buzzing noise coming from behind the refrigerator?

Yes, I could fan running at the lower freezer and I can feel some air coming out from the vent but there is no air coming from the vent at the upper fridge. I can also hear clicking sound.

What green accept button? I don't see it.

Okay first thing you need to do is pull the refrigerator away from the wall and remove the back cover over the compressor assembly at the bottom, see if the clicking is coming from there, if it is the compressor start relay is most likely the issue in this, this is plugged onto the side of the compressor, this probably a plastic box covering it you will need to remove to get to it, unplug the refrigerator remove the cover and then the relay, shake the relay in your hand if it rattles it's bad, you will need to replace it this is an inexpensive part in you can order this at the following link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Start-Relay/1268268?modelNumber=LFX25960ST four $9.75, if the noise is not coming from the relay it's going to be the control board itself, this is a lot more money so make sure you check the relay first, the board is $118.16 at this link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Control-Board/1463582?modelNumber=LFX25960ST thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Okay, I will check on what you've just told me. I hope it is the relay only and not control board. Thank you very much.
I hope it's just the relay also, it usually is but you have to check it to make sure, thanks and if you need more help don't hesitate to come back and ask, thanks, Bryan
The clicking sound is coming from the compressor assembly. I see a black plastic cover adjacent to the compressor assembly. Is the relay inside this plastic box? How can I access the relay from there? Not sure on how to unmount or disassemble to plastic box.
yes its in the box on the side of the compressor. the cover snaps on.
View Full Image
there should be a tab to release it,
Hi I managed to remove relay. I shaked it and it didn't rattle. Does it mean it might something else?
Not necessarily, if the clicking was coming from there it can still be bad even if it doesn't rattle, I would try that before doing anything else, they don't necessarily have to rattle to be bad but when they rattle their definitely bad,
Thank you. If it is not the relay, is it also possible that the compressor itself is bad?
Well do you have a voltmeter? You can test the voltage going to the compressor in if it fluctuates goes on off 120 volts and then down to zero then 120 Volts in the relay on the board could be the issue, it's possible the compressor can go hopefully that's not the case however, how long have you owned this?
Just had it for two or three years
Do you have your book? Do you know the warranty on the sealed system? That should be in the warranty section
yes, it says one year for labor and seven years for parts.
Well at least the compressor would be covered as far as the part, the bad news probably cost you couple hundred bucks at least have it installed, I guess that's better than $700, try the relay I think it will work, you don't make them like they used a l'll tell you,
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician